Craftsman 20407 48" 24 HP V-Twin Briggs & Stratton braking question

Pommosa

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Craftsman 20407 48" 24 HP V-Twin Briggs & Stratton braking question
New this forum and recently bought this mower used and have a question on braking. When I'm in forward or reverse and apply the brake the mower stops as it should, however when I release the brake the mower takes off from where the throttle and transmission lever where at before braking. Shouldn't the transmission return to the natural position whenever you brake? As it is now if I don't manually put the lever back to neutral when braking it will take off on me as soon as I let off the brake. I used to have a yardman mower with the the transmission lever at the fender as this mower has also and when I applied the brake the transmission lever automatically returned to neutral, shouldn't my craftsman mower operate the same way?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Need the complete model number from the serial tag under the seat. A partial model number search on searspartsdirect only comes with a dishwasher.

We need to know which transaxle it has. If it has a Tuff Torq or Hydro Gear then it don't return to neutral. If it is a General Transmissions RS800 then yes it should return to neutral.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I suspect your mower when you engage the brake it takes the tension off of the drive belt, and it doesn't have a return to neutral position.. And when you release the brake/clutch it is just like engaging the clutch on a gear transmission. On a Hydro unit the only time the brake should be used is when starting. After that then all controls should be by the speed control