Repairs Correct placement of spacers on transaxle?

Odysseus

Threads
I have a Sears Monster Garden Tractor (model # 917.288420) and just had a left transaxle (Tuff Torq) failure. The shaft broke about mid axle.

There was a bit of collateral damage including the left wheel hub which has also been replaced. The key and 2 of the 3 washers are intact (the other washer disappeared or was never there)

when new, the split spacer is about 3/8" thick, but the one that came off was worn down to maybe .05". I have ordered a pair of new spacers. Here is the question:

The sears parts manual shows the spacer between the interior washer and the axle housing:

http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/1209390P-00003.png

A very experienced repairman I know said that the spacer should not be against the seal (which is recessed inside the transaxle housing) which it will be if between the interior washer and the housing. He maintains that the spacer will damage the seal and cause it to leak. He maintains that the parts manual is incorrect. I trust his judgement and experience, but just want a second opinion.

It was my assumption that the spacer was there to keep the washer away from the soft aluminum housing, rotating against it and damaging it.

On the other hand, there is a lot of "space" even with the spacers and washers, allowing the hub to move left and right on the axle, and maybe it is there just to take up some of that space.

Any thoughts?

Odysseus

Threads
This doesn't seem to be attracting much in the way of guidance, so maybe I can find a service (not owner's) manual which might give me some insight.

I have followed the sticky above with no joy.

Anyone know how to find a service manual for model # 917.288420?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The parts diagram shows the washer on the hub side, with no washer between the spacer and the axle. Most tranny run with a washer between the housing and the spacer to prevent the spacer from wearing into the housing. Some trannys run a washer on both sides of the spacer. If you have the room I would put a washer on both sides of the spacer.

Odysseus

Threads
ILEngine,

Sorry for the lapse. Had sort of given up on a response.

Thanks for yours. I think there is considerable "space" between the housing and the lock spring to accommodate one washer against the housing, then the spacer, then another washer before the hub. The spacers are supposed to arrive tomorrow and I will have a better idea then when I can see how they fit.

I mentioned earlier that one of the 3/4" I.D. washers was "missing". Picked up a 3/4" "cut washer" from Home Depot. It is approximately twice the thickness of the stock washer. Do you see any issue with replacing the pair of thinner washers that go on the outside of the hub with one of these and use one of the removed pair to add to the housing side to implement your suggestion (on both sides of the axle)? [I hope this was clear]

OTOH, if the spacers are designed to fit into the housing but not against the seal, do you think there might be a wear issue between the spacer and the housing, or will the washer allow the hub to turn without pushing against the washer so hard that it causes a problem with the spacer being against the housing?

Finally, I just had another look at the parts diagram and see that the inside washers have a different part # (230/188967) from the outside washer (205/121748X) and different prices. Do you have any idea how to find out if there is any physical difference between them? I have 5 of what should have been the original 6 and they all look the same to me.

Thanks again.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just make sure that when you do the washer, spacer, washer and have the tire installed, that the whole assembly isn't tight to the tranny housing. You want a little play for everything to work correctly. the inside washer next to the tranny will prevent the spacer from wearing into the tranny housing which is a bad thing. I suspect the different part numbers for the washer is, normally the washer on the outside of the wheel hub is thicker than the other washers, or a different OD.

Odysseus

Threads
Many thanks.

When the spacers arrive, will remove the wheels to install them and will measure all 5 of the original washers with a micrometer to see if there is any difference. If there is, there should be either 2 and 3, or 4 and 1, thicknesses, depending on which one is missing.

Odysseus

Threads
Memory was not too good. Had three of one and one of the other. In fact, they are quite different from each other.

Did not think to measure the new hub against the old one, but I think it is a tad longer. Either that, or there is less axle sticking out of the housing on the left side. This may account for the "missing" washer.

After replacement, there is only about 1/8" of play (room for the hub to slide left and right on the axle). Is this enough? Too much?

Thanks in advance for your further assistance.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
1/8" is sufficient clearance, so you should be good.