Constant Pinion Gear Stripping Issue

BStanky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I hope someone can help. I did search for answers and found some common issues, but the answers will not help me as I move have tried them already.

I own a Honda Self-propelled (rear wheel) push lawnmower, Model HRR216K9VLAA. For 3 or so years it has ran great. The power I received from the self-propelled feature was super strong and made my sloped terrain easy to conquer.
But this year I started constantly stripping the pinion gears. I changed both left and right rear pinions and wheels, along with all spacers and washers. I verified orientation of the pinion gears to videos on the net. After the parts replacement, with the rear of the mower off ground, when I start and activate the drive, the wheels engage and turn as expected. But when I put the mower on the ground, even if just on flat pavement, the wheels will not turn and mower will not move forward where in the past it would force me to walk at a fast pace to keep up with it. If I push, it does seem like there is some minor assistance from the wheel drive. If I do push and turn left, I can hear awful crunching or grinding from the left side, which I believe is the wheel stripping the pinion gear. If I turn right, no grinding. The wheels seem fine, they are new as well, with no play. They are on solid.

I’m at a loss. Anyone have any ideas? I just want to get through this lawn season which will end in a month. Right now my usual 3 hour mow is taking 5 hours as I have to use muscle to force it along and it is quite a heavy machine to be a manual push mower.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
First make sure your mowers Serial # is within range.
Disassemble both rear wheels & inspect all parts for wear. Try rotating transmission shaft by hand, hear any grinding? Is belt in good shape?

Last edited:

BStanky

Forum Newbie
Threads
First make sure your mowers Serial # is within range.
Disassemble both rear wheels & inspect all parts for wear. Try rotating transmission shaft by hand, hear any grinding? Is belt in good shape?
Thank you for your reply. In the back of my mind I was thinking the transmission. I’ll give the belt a look first.

catbob

Threads
If you want to double check the gears again, this is from my manualScreenshot_20221023-095134_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

BStanky

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you want to double check the gears again, this is from my manualView attachment 62587
Great info. Due to the fairly large amount of corrosion around the transmission axel area I have decided to replace the transmission assembly. I am waiting for a couple parts that were also broken or overly corroded. Once it is all back together I will surely use four provided tests to verify all is well.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Great info. Due to the fairly large amount of corrosion around the transmission axel area I have decided to replace the transmission assembly. I am waiting for a couple parts that were also broken or overly corroded. Once it is all back together I will surely use four provided tests to verify all is well.
Use anti-seize on axle, sold in small packets at Auto Parts Stores.