Compression ?

rjh1

Threads
Kohler command , it's either a 25 or a 27 ? there are no decals any where.. if I take a number off a cylinder head it comes back as a 25 ? but it's in a simplicity cobalt 27/61 zero turn ?? But Here's what I have . . facing the engine the cylinder on the left has 100 and the one on the right has 140 .. with that being said will that imbalance cause the governor to not work correctly ?? Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
From the service manual>

A compression test is best performed on a warm engine. Clean any dirt or debris away from base of spark plug(s)
before removing them. Be sure choke is off, and throttle is wide open during test. Compression should be at least 160
psi and should not vary more than 15% between cylinders.

With in mind you have a heavily worn engine. RH cylinder has 40% more than the left if start with the LH then compare it to the RH. Or if you start with RH the left has 29% less compression. Even with the least difference figures you are still nearly double the allowable difference. And you are well below the minimum compression # of 160.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked with a local auto parts store? Many have free loaner tools where you pay a fee up front, but the fee is returned when you return the tool. Leak down tester will give to a better idea of the problem, than a compression tester. If you would post the Simplicity number we might be able to do a cross reference to see which engine should be in that unit. I’ve see 25 hp heads used on 27 hp engines.