Export thread

Cold Weather Operation

M

motomike

What temperature is too low to run my lawn tractor? 1999 Murray model 42591x31A with Briggs Twin II 17hp engine. I use 30wt oil as specified in the book.

30w oil is not supposed to be used under 50* But many still do.

But if ya park it indoors & that is warmer, then the oil will be too..

M

motomike

Thanks, I've always used 50 as a cutoff in the past and think I'll continue. I remembered after I created this post I have a copy of the Briggs service manual for this engine and consulted it, it says use 30wt down to 40 degrees. And 5w30/10w30 for operation only below 40. 50 should be safe. My mower stays in a shed outdoors.

Cool. Better safe than sorry..

StarTech

StarTech

Also below 50F you can have a carburetor icing problem especially with ethanol fuel blends. I had my personal mower to freeze up @ 40F while mowing leaves one year. And I had much worst scare @70F when the small plane I was flying developed carb icing. Not fun when you over a large city with no place to land. Turn on the heater and hoped for the best as I work to the airport. Engine straighten out about two miles from the airport but I sit in the lounge for a while getting my nerves settled.

S

slomo

Also below 50F you can have a carburetor icing problem especially with ethanol fuel blends. I had my personal mower to freeze up @ 40F while mowing leaves one year. And I had much worst scare @70F when the small plane I was flying developed carb icing. Not fun when you over a large city with no place to land. Turn on the heater and hoped for the best as I work to the airport. Engine straighten out about two miles from the airport but I sit in the lounge for a while getting my nerves settled.
Another reason NOT to use E anything fuel.

S

slomo

Another vote for 5w-30 or 10w-30 below 50F.

StarTech

StarTech

Another reason NOT to use E anything fuel.
Might be but the aviation fuel I was using was non ethanol 100LL.

Nowadays I no longer flying due the fuel costs just way too expensive @ 6.00/gal to by burning 6+ gallons / hr just for the fun of flying.

Everything is getting TOO expensive... Arrgh.