CMM1200 battery charger output

clintondw

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member with a 11-year old CMM1200.

Red light has been staying on when I plug in the charger and the green only comes on for a split second when I unplug the charger. I thought it might be the charger so I checked the output. 27 volts DC. charger spec says it should be 26 VDC. is 27 okay? Amps measured 1.6 - 1.7.

I suspect it is time to change out the batteries. The originals lasted 6 years and one was bulged. The second pair has lasted 5 years. I have an AllPak battery store that I bought the second set from. Time to visit for another set.

The first 9 years I had the mower I stored it in a garage and gave it TLC. The last two years it has lived on my front porch, sheltered only from moisture.

And yes, it is a Type 0. Black & Decker swears there isn't such a thing but the sticker on my mower says otherwise. The other numbers stamped into the sticker are: 2007 08-49.

Thanks!

Scandoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member with a 11-year old CMM1200.

Red light has been staying on when I plug in the charger and the green only comes on for a split second when I unplug the charger. I thought it might be the charger so I checked the output. 27 volts DC. charger spec says it should be 26 VDC. is 27 okay? Amps measured 1.6 - 1.7.

I suspect it is time to change out the batteries. The originals lasted 6 years and one was bulged. The second pair has lasted 5 years. I have an AllPak battery store that I bought the second set from. Time to visit for another set.

The first 9 years I had the mower I stored it in a garage and gave it TLC. The last two years it has lived on my front porch, sheltered only from moisture.

And yes, it is a Type 0. Black & Decker swears there isn't such a thing but the sticker on my mower says otherwise. The other numbers stamped into the sticker are: 2007 08-49.

Thanks!

(I assuming that you have cleaned and tightened all the electrical contacts...)

I have a CMM1200 from 2008; the label area does not say Type 0, or 1, or 2, or 3, or 4, or 5...(What was wrong with those engineers?!??!?!)...but it stayed NIB at Sears until 2010, when I got it up on closeout for half-price! (So I picked up one for my girlfriend, too!)

They have both worked pretty well, on a .25 acre lawn, with a minimum of maintenance, (as long as the grass isn't too heavy, then the batteries would get pretty weak at the end)...At first, I made the mistake of really running it down, until it barely turned, although I know better, now. They have both been stored in freezing garages, (although mine get a lot colder like -20 F), Even still, after 8 1/2 summers in Minnesota, the batteries are holding up fairly well, although they do seem to 'drop' output after about 8 minutes (just based on the sound), and seems like it drops from whatever it was doing to a slightly lower RPM, but still can get the whole job done if I am mowing weekly. (although I tend to NOT to do that...).

Now that I have 'looked under the hood', I will be bringing the batteries in for the winter!

Remember, each battery has 6 cells, and there are 2 batteries in series in this design; each cell is 2.041 V, so 12 of them adds up to 24.492 V...so, with other losses due to internal resistance, etc, 26 V really isn't that ideal...although you would think that 27 would do it...
2 years ago, I had a charger fry out on me, so I got the replacement model at a local DeWalt/B&D Service Center for $35; The label says output is 30 V DC at 1.2 Amps, so it would seem that they did their math, and realized that 26 V wasn't enough:
It is described with the codes ETPCA-P24012OU, and listed as B&D Part Number 90556983

Unfortunately, it seems even those are no longer available, since the industry has moved on to 36V Li-ion technology, etc....But I am not going to cough it up that ea$ily, so I recently called up B&B Battery, who made the batteries in these two units.

The guy in tech support really didn't want to talk about chargers, but said you really had to have the 27 volts, but also wasn't too thrilled about them going up to 30 V...definitely not MORE than that.
Additionally, he really recommended NOT trying to go up to the 20 Amp-hour batteries, based on them costing a good bit more, and (though he wouldn't actually say they were less reliable), definitely didn't think they would make me happier...

But you might try ebay: ...com/itm/Black-Decker-ETPCA-P24012OU-30V-1-2A-Class-2-Power-Supply-USED-WORKING/223175675893?hash=item33f64e8ff5:g:1y0AAOSw76Bbfua3:rk:1:pf:0
(I am new, so it won't let me post link...)

It's actually a higher price than original MSRP for new, but it's a supply & demand situation... At least he is picking up the shipping on it!

But at that price, with your batteries that old, you might be better off picking up the new batteries: you could probably pick up a couple batteries for only a little more money.

Good Luck!

clintondw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the info!

It's always great to find someone as detail-oriented as I am.

Thanks again!

clinton:thumbsup:

clintondw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two new PowerSonic PS-12180NB batteries and I was good to go! I purchased from my local AllPak battery store for $45 each.

I did order a new battery strap from eReplacementparts.com because the original had snapped in two.

Other than replacing the front wheels (tread came off) the only items I have replaced are the batteries and blades.

cw