Clutch won’t come off

cityboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
I was given a 2008 Troy Bilt Mustang XP 42 RZT, and I have to replace the transmission drive belt. I removed the bolt holding the clutch in place so that I can remove the clutch and take the old belt off and put a new one. After I removed the bolt, the clutch doesn’t come off. Any idea why? Or suggestions? Haha

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, the belt must be very loose. This is a trick I use, hopefully on rusted tight. Insert the bolt and washer back in until you have about a 1/16”-1/8” gap between the washer and clutch. Lightly wedge a pry bar or large screwdriver between the clutch and chassis. While putting moderate pressure on the clutch start rapping lightly on the bolt head, not heavy blows, to free the clutch. You are trying to break the surface tension between the clutch and crankshaft.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Penetrating oil on crankshaft above clutch, let it sit 10 minutes or so.
Talking on phone with my younger son telling him about this post & his response was : Dad just tell him to soak it down with Liquid Wrench & come back in 10 minutes & PTO will be laying on ground. My sons tease me about using too much Liquid Wrench on everything.

Last edited: