Clutch Actuator Swivels Around the Handle (Honda HRR216K10VKAA)

WhidbeyTomas

Threads
  • / Clutch Actuator Swivels Around the Handle (Honda HRR216K10VKAA)
Definitely spins around. I am careful to put the pin in the lower grove, but the top groove is difficult to monitor, since the two halves are apart before squeezing together.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would say the pins are not in the grooves. Did you test the action before screwing the paddles on? Install lower half first and test, should only move about 3/4”, then stop.

WhidbeyTomas

Threads
Thanks guys, I am sorry if it seemed like I was ragging on the community, that wasn't my intent. It was more about my experience. Information about this "smartdrive" actuator seems to be restricted to manuals for authorized Honda service centers. Thank you for the reality check. I do have considerable experience in forums like this, but that was in the heady early days of internet development. There were thousands of members in each section. That audience lived on computers with a keyboard in hand, this audience lives in a shop with a wrench in hand.

The problem isn't with the gearbox or engine, it is with the plastic thingy that sits on the horizontal bar. Honda calls the drive a "smartdrive. That thingy on the bar is called an actuator.

It is a real challenge to describe mechanics, especially for those without a mechanical vocabulary. Even having such, and attempting to understand a word description of an arcane mechanical system is a challenge - one only the most brave should attempt. Skip this next part if you don't want a headache.

The user rotates this component to increase or decrease power. It should not rotate more than about twenty degrees. The clutch cable inserts inside the handle about midway up and ends in the middle of the horizontal bar. The actuator clamps over the bar in three two halve parts. The inner two halves feature a window into the bar (the bar is open top and bottom). A pin is inserted through this opening and through the eyelet of the cable. The pin extents out on each end inserting into a s- like groves on the inside of both of these inside halves (If the actuator were an Oreo cookie, this is the cream layer). Rotating the actuator should force the pin to slide right, through the grove applying tension on the clutch cable and thus moving the transmission pulley and engaging the transmission belt. Clear as mud?

I don't expect people will want to watch a video - a bit annoying with its didactice yet cavalier descriptions, but the best way to see this is through this video. If you want, turn off the sound and drag on the progress bar until you see actuator disassembly and assembly sections (disassembly/assembly required to replace the clutch cable).

WhidbeyTomas

Threads
People, please forgive me for leaving you stranded with no follow-up. I had to punt to my local repair man. For some reason, others had the same idea (you'd think it was spring).

It seems that the problem was damage to the two inner halves. The one with the groves. Replacing those did the trick. The damage occured when I took the assembly apart while mowing the lawn, hoping to see something I could quickly set right. It wasn't there, but before I could put it back together correctly, I found I had lost three of the screws (yeah, I did. I opened it up while on the lawn!). I had to finish the lawn, and planned to avoid twisting the control. Unfortunately, it occurred to me that it might work, so I twisted it when it wasn't fully attached. That, I think, is where the assembly became damaged. Best advice I can give to otherS is "DON'T BE AN IDIOT." I know. We gotta be what we are.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don’t kick yourself when the knee doesn’t go in that direction, as your not the first who has had to learn the hard way. We’ve all been there, myself included, as we forget to think, what could happen if I do this. Glad to see you have the problem fixed and thank you for posting back. You may have helped someone else in the future.

WhidbeyTomas

Threads
Sorry guys. My last report was based on what I was told by my local repair man. I trusted that he knew what he was doing. He has had my mower for more than a month now. After ordering the above mentioned part and finding no change in the result, he took to ordering several other parts, including the pin holding the cable and the cable. When pressing on the lever to engage the transmission, the pin that pulls the cable tight and engages the drive pulley slips out of the groove when it reaches the end. My repairman reports he is finding the same situation with another Honda he got in after mine. This suggests the problem is a constant between the two mowers. I think a loose cable might explain it. Tightening the cable didn't fix the problem. I now think that the cable too long. The one I attempted to install, and the one he ordered both come through his source. If it isn't an OEM source, it could be too long, and that would explain what the result. I will report back as I learn more.

Last edited: