Cheetah II Coils

hamlin6

Threads
I'm beginning to wonder if I may have a COVID-quality mower. I have a '21 Scag Cheetah II with a 61" deck and the 37hp, B&S engine. I've had to take it in twice for component failures. The first time was a manufactures defect in the throttle cable assembly. It would not go to WOT, no matter how hard you pushed the lever.
Then recently I had to have both the coils replaced as they went bad. The symptoms were pretty common. The mower would run fine for a few hours then it would lose all power when you engage the blades. Leave it sit for a while and all would be good for a few hours.
When it runs, it runs perfectly and is a beast. For the money spent on this thing, I hate to think I have something that will spend regular time at the dealer for repair.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you use water on engine for cleaning etc.?
Outside under cover?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Both coils going out at the same time is highly suspicious. I’m wondering how they were checked and tested. Hopefully someone is not just throwing parts at it to see what sticks.

hamlin6

Threads
Both coils going out at the same time is highly suspicious. I’m wondering how they were checked and tested. Hopefully someone is not just throwing parts at it to see what sticks.
I'd had intermittent issues with the mower for most of the last half of last year. I took it to the dealer when the season was over. it took them running it for hours on end multiple times before they saw the issue. The mower threw codes for each of the coils. Given the time of year, I've not had the need to use it to test things out yet.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
They are check through the ECM diagnostic software. Both coil are controlled by the ECM so anything is possible as this is fairly new equipment design. Even the diagnostic software for my computer is being updated several times a year as problems are discovered by that can be tested for via the computer.

hamlin6

Threads
I’ll say that the dealership has a great reputation in the area. They are always very accommodating and I’ve never had any issues anytime I take something there.

hamlin6

Threads
Just to add to this older thread. My suspicion of getting a COVID quality mower is being solidified. This week while mowing, the starter kicked in for no reason. I couldn’t get it to stop. Even turning the ignition to off and remove the key wouldn’t kill it or the engine. I was at the farthest part of the property with no tools. I had to run to the house and get a wrench. By the time I got the battery disconnected I could smell a very hot electrical smell. Took it back to the dealership and they swore they’d never heard of so a thing.
I’m pretty much over this very expensive thing.

ResLifeG-Crew

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm beginning to wonder if I may have a COVID-quality mower. I have a '21 Scag Cheetah II with a 61" deck and the 37hp, B&S engine. I've had to take it in twice for component failures. The first time was a manufactures defect in the throttle cable assembly. It would not go to WOT, no matter how hard you pushed the lever.
Then recently I had to have both the coils replaced as they went bad. The symptoms were pretty common. The mower would run fine for a few hours then it would lose all power when you engage the blades. Leave it sit for a while and all would be good for a few hours.
When it runs, it runs perfectly and is a beast. For the money spent on this thing, I hate to think I have something that will spend regular time at the dealer for repair.
Hey, I am having this exact issue on our scag with the same engine. I originally had a code for coil #2, put a new one in, then a couple of days later had a code for both 1&2, put a new one in #1 and am now getting a code for both. Same deal, runs fine for a while then bogs down and shuts off when putting the mower blades on and/or going up hill. Our local dealer is 2 months out. They told me to just start checking the wiring harness for damage. Needle in a haystack situation. Wondering if you ever got anywhere with this. Thanks!

hamlin6

Threads
Hey, I am having this exact issue on our scag with the same engine. I originally had a code for coil #2, put a new one in, then a couple of days later had a code for both 1&2, put a new one in #1 and am now getting a code for both. Same deal, runs fine for a while then bogs down and shuts off when putting the mower blades on and/or going up hill. Our local dealer is 2 months out. They told me to just start checking the wiring harness for damage. Needle in a haystack situation. Wondering if you ever got anywhere with this. Thanks!
Hey there. Yep. After they replaced both coils Ive not had the issue again. I went through the entire mowing season and they worked fine.
Incidentally, I did have to have the starter replaced. It engaged while the engine was running and wouldn’t disengage. Other than that the mower ran well this summer.