Export thread

Charging System

A

alanb21

I was given a Troy Bilt mower with a B&S 190cc engine 126M05-0856-F1 that I believe the charging system has failed. The charge coil stator is p/n 69199.
Can I test the output of the stator by disconnecting the battery, with the engine running, and checking if any voltage is at the connector? Should I place a resistance such as
a bulb across the connector and retest? Right now I have zero volts without a load.
Thanks in advance,
Alan

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

1666470809390.png

Appears to be the .5 amp DC... so make sure your voltage tester is set to DC voltage when testing from the wire to a good ground.

A

alanb21

View attachment 62579

Appears to be the .5 amp DC... so make sure your voltage tester is set to DC voltage when testing from the wire to a good ground.
The meter was set to DC. I put the probes across the two wires that attach to the battery with the battery disconnected.
I figured that the charge system output would end up here.
Alan

StarTech

StarTech

You need to be testing at the alternator/stator first as a wire could broken or a fuse between the stator and the battery.

A

alanb21

To Scrubcadet10 and Star Tech;
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to check for a broken wire tomorrow. The fuse is located in the battery box and is good.

GetTechnicalWithJd

GetTechnicalWithJd

Hope this helps

Attachments

A

alanb21

Hope this helps
Thanks for the reply and suggestion.
I read 0.2 volts.
Alan

GetTechnicalWithJd

GetTechnicalWithJd