Charging System Problem.

jmdls

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an issue with my Rato 670cc engine charging my battery. Its a new battery, but will not hold a charge. At full throttle, when I test the wire plug from the voltage regulator, it shows 13 to 14 volts. When I test the wire plug to the battery it shows 12.1 volts. When I connect the two plug wires together it still only reads 12.1 volts at the battery. Any suggestions as to why the voltage regulator is not sensing the battery voltage or something else I should be checking? Is it possible that the voltage regulator is still defective? Any advice is appreciated, Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I am thinking could be an issue where the system isn't grounding properly or there is an issue with the wire from the battery to the regulator plug. Basically will carry voltage but not carry amps.

With all the wires connected you can either connect a temporary wire from the +battery to the regulator output and see if it starts charging. That would rule out a bad regulator to battery wire, and can also take that wire from the -battery to the case of the regulator and see if it starts charging. If it charges then you have a ground problem. The same test can be done with the volt meter. meter should read 0 or close to it in both test.

I am assuming that the 13-14 volts is wire going to the battery and not 13-14 AC output from the charge stator.