Export thread

Changing Transaxle Oil

S

Skippydiesel

Do the Forum members think there is any benefit in changing the hydrodrive/transmission oil on a Toro Wheel Horse 17 hp?
(FYI mower performs very well but in the past I have had a hydraulic transmission fail & have always wondered if a timely oil change might have extended its working life)

Should the consensus be, it would be beneficial to do this - any thoughts on best oil for the job?

I realise that this may require the transmission/transaxle being removed from the mower, as there does not seem to be any provision for draining the old oil.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

We need more information. Changing the fluid could either be beneficial or could reduce the life, but it depends. Age, brand, wear and condition, what do you use it for, etc. Its quite a bit of work for what it's worth.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

If its working great, I personally would leave it. When it starts going a little bit slower or starts Slipping, then change it 👍🏼. If it ain't broke, DON'T "fix" it 🙅🏼‍♂️. I've learned that the hard way lol, my curiosity kills me.😑

S

Skippydiesel

Brand & Model: Toro Wheel Horse 17 hp
No idea how old, plastic bonnet model - my guess, somewhere between 10-15 years.
Used for mowing a large block/garden.
This mower was gifted to me with dud engine. Was going to use it for parts BUT Just happened to have a 17 hp Vanguard from another mower on hand. Dropped in the "new " gave it a good service and "Bob's Your Uncle" she runs like a dream.
The poor thing had had a hard life - I did a heap of work on the cutter deck - replaced two of the three spindle heads, platting/welding and straightening. It now cuts a nice lawn.