Changing Transaxle Fluid

LSU-Mike

Threads
I've removed the two filters and drained all fluid from both sides. Installed new filters. I'm unable to remove either top port plug. I've applied penetrating oil a couple of times and will allow it to (hopefully) work overnight. These plugs require 1/4" hex key, not a socket wrench. I haven't applied "super" torque in trying to remove because I don't want to strip out the hex hole. The plugs are flush with the transaxle surface so there's nothing to grab with any kind of tool.

If I'm unable to remove the plugs, is there another way to determine when I've reached the full level when refilling? The hoses from the reservoir attach to a fitting at the top of each transaxle above the engine deck. Could I insert something into those fittings after removing the hoses to determine the level?
Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you got reservoir tanks than you gradually fill the hydro until the oil stops bubbling at the bottom of each drain hole. And you just want enough oil in each tank to coat the bottom of the tank(s). Actually the tanks usually have a fill to cold line to go by. But having the top plugs out of transaxles just make refilling a lot faster as air can escape quicker.

Just filling via the remote tank(s) is just a lot slower as you got wait for the air to bleed out. Even when you think you got them fill you must purge the air from the pumps and refill.

LSU-Mike

Threads
If you got reservoir tanks than you gradually fill the hydro until the oil stops bubbling at the bottom of each drain hole. And you just want enough oil in each tank to coat the bottom of the tank(s). Actually the tanks usually have a fill to cold line to go by. But having the top plugs out of transaxles just make refilling a lot faster as air can escape quicker.

Just filling via the remote tank(s) is just a lot slower as you got wait for the air to bleed out. Even when you think you got them fill you must purge the air from the pumps and refill.
Thanks StarTech. This model has only one reservoir, but certainly your suggested process applies. Lots of rain in my area for the next several days, so I have plenty of time for this slow process.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have seen those dual outlet tanks. With transaxle taking nearly 2 quarts of oil each you start out by filling the reservoir half way and letting sit it so air can bubble out. Do this until you start on the fourth quart than lower the amount you add until each side stops bubbling. Then of course you got to go the purging of each side. Then it back topping off each until no bubbles and a small amount remain in the tank. The last one I did this way took a couple days. Just takes patience.

But as you might figure getting those plugs out makes whole process faster as air has quick way out. But sometimes they are stuck and we have to go the slow way.

Mention rain I getting rain too and happy to see it it had been four weeks with none and things were dying. Surprised however that my pond which has dried up the pass eight year has gone dry yet. Still got August and September to get thru however. And there is so far no runoff to refill the pond.

LSU-Mike

Threads
Overnight the reservoir level dropped about one inch. Obviously this wasn’t going to work so I decided to apply the 3 P rule for stuck bolts - penetrating oil, patience and prayer. Success! Worked for both plugs. Still took a while to complete the fill.

My pond almost completely dried up last year, but is back to normal now. Not so lucky with many many trees