Changing Honda GCV Engine oil

HRX

Threads
I have seen many ways to change the oil on a Honda Lawnmower. The best and easiest way is to use a empty gallon milk container. I am not crazy!
Take out the oil stick and the opening of the container will actually fit snug around the fill tube opening. Turn the engine over on its side and it will fill up without any spilling. Now when you lift it back up the weight of the oil will flop the container and you can safely take it off.
Now you can take it to the recycling center.
If I ever learn how to do a You Tube I will post it.
Anyway try it!
Please tell me if you like this!

JBtoro

Threads
Now when you lift it back up the weight of the oil will flop the container and you can safely take it off
I think you have a good idea here but not sure what you mean with "flop the container." How about a picture?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I think you have a good idea here but not sure what you mean with "flop the container." How about a picture?
i think he means the weight of the oil in the jug will pull the jug off the dipstick tube

cruzenmike

Threads
I use a 5 quart oil pan that is about 4-5" tall laying down beside the mower. When I remove the dip stick and turn the mower on it's side, the oil falls out into the pan. My oil pan has a spout that I can then use to dump into a jug for recycling. This seems to work just fine with the mower that I have. I would feel that the milk container might have a tendency to fall off prematurely or when undesired and cause a spill. My way doesn't make any mess, but a paper bag on the ground is all that you need for the occasional drip should it occur.

gotomow

Threads
I went to Blaine's and got some tubing. I used a small funnel to stick the hose thru, then put that up against the vac intake and put a container in the vac. First I tried water and it worked great. Then I used straight 30w kind of cold from the basement and it was a bit slower. I think it will work great on warm engine oil.

HRX

Threads
Well the container is so thin you can actually bet it bend itself when you set the mower upright. Yes there are many many ways etc. I feel this is the best way. I say this Try it and you will agree.

HRX

Threads
Try it and you will love it!