Champion gas powered generator fuel cap doesn't fit right

Blaine B.

Threads
  • / Champion gas powered generator fuel cap doesn't fit right
Recently I acquired a Champion generator from a relative, model number 200911. I was there in September 2020 when this generator was purchased and helped transport it. Fast forward 3.5 years, relative is passed away, I purchased generator from the family. If I recall correctly back to 2020 I can recall that the fuel cap felt weird, difficult to remove and reinstall. Anyways, the generator sat for this entire time, not being used once, engine oil is brand new, started right up on the first pull if you can believe it. But I couldn't remove the fuel cap as the fuel cap was so tight or seized in place that the ratcheting mechanism within the cap head failed and would not allow me to put any torque on the lower portion of the fuel cap. Therefore, I had to destroy the cap and separate it. As you can see, the lower portion of the fuel cap doesn't thread in all of the way. It is very, very tight, and there seems to be a mismatch between the threads cut in the fuel tank and the fuel cap, the best I can tell based upon how NOT smooth the cap threads in and out. I can purchase a new cap online but am concerned that I will run in to the same issue once it arrives. Do you have any recommendations for what I can check for, measure, etcetera? I contacted Champion customer service days ago and have yet to receive any response thus far. Thanks!