Chainsaw: MS210C vs MS210 same coil?

rickpaulos

Threads
I have a MS210C chain saw that would not start. No spark. I got a new spark plug, still no spark. measured the resistance and got 2100 ohms. ??? The other wires were disconnected and those are okay too.

I ordered a new coil listed as:
Fit Stihl MS210 MS230 MS250 021 023 025
and the coil does not fit, not even close.

Is the MS210C that much different from the MS210?

My MS210C has the spring loaded pull cord. (my whimpy arms need that) And it has the no-tools chain adjuster. (handy)
The current Stihl comparison shopping chart doesn't indicate what the C is for.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I believe the C stands for toolless chain adjuster. Stihl parts for the most part don't interchange between models. I went through a ignition module search last year for a customers MS 361 where they had used 3 different modules over the years. One used 5 mm bolts, one used 4 mm bolts but the spacing was the same, and then there was the digital module for the electronic carb, and even the build sheet based on the serial number couldn't tell them what module that saw used.

rickpaulos

Threads
dong a lot of www searching. the MS210C isn't even listed as a model on so many sites. I guess it's a short-lived model that doesn't get recognized. I also am reading that Stihl is trying to direct everyone to a dealer. The dealer where I got my saw has proven to be of no help for years.

Looking at some old photos , the bar-code sticker says MS 210 C-BE.

I found 3 part numbers for the MS210. but nothing for the MS210C (BE)

years ago I visited a friend who used to be a Stihl dealer. He let me look through the MS210C parts books and it had a different carb nearly every month. sheesh.

here is a photo of the old coil. The part number is quite hard to read. This is the best I got with side lighting.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is two different coils for MS230 series.

Here is which is which for MS230 series from my 03/2009 IPL listing.

0000 400 1306 1 Ignition module (1,2,6,7)
1123 400 1301 1 Ignition module (3-5)

(1) MS 210, (2) MS 210 C-B, (3) MS 210 C-BE, (4) MS 210 C-BE Z, (5) MS 210 C-BE Z WoodBoss, (6) MS 210-Z, (7) MS 210-Z WoodBoss

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a bulletin that discusses the coils a little.

Attachments

• coilez.pdf
    185.5 KB · Views: 14

rickpaulos

Threads
Thanks. That bulletin is really helpful.

I have another question about the wires.

The coil is attached to the plastic housing with 2 torx screws. Is there some metal in buried in that plastic to ground the coil to the metal engine block? I don't see how the spark returns to the coil when it's apparently attached to plastic. I traced and checked the black wire and the yellow wires. The black runs from a terminal on the coil to the main switch (choke/throttle/off) where it makes contact (when switched to OFF) with a bit of metal that the yellow wire plugs in to. The other end of the yellow wire attaches to the metal engine cylinder. So as far as I can see the black to yellow is the kill circuit.

I'm not getting any spark, even when I disconnected the black and yellow wires. Now that I have the coil part number sorted I have one on order.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a pic of a used rig off of e-bay. Notice the ground wire that grounds a leg of the coil to the block.
coilground.jpg

rickpaulos

Threads
here it is, 1:30 am and I found the missing ground wire under the magnetic dish I was using to hold the parts. Thanks everyone! I'll get that hooked up when I can keep my eyes open..night.

rickpaulos

Threads
Put in the ground wire. No spark.
new coil arrived today. Doesn't fit