cast iron briggs

snorky

Threads
hello all , please can anyone help ....I foolishly took the rings off a piston with out noting which groove they came off .....I have looked at many picture of different ring types and fitting instructions but have not identified my type ....so

the engine is 10hp horizontal cast iron (old style) 243400 ....the piston has 3 rings compression , wiper , and oil

1.. ring has an internal chamfer easily 2/3rds the thickness of the ring ...that finishes with a small flat at the bottom of the ring

2...ring has an internal chamfer only 1/3rd of the thickness of the ring that finishes with a larger flat at the bottom of the ring

so 1 ring with a large slope and 1 with a small slope , there is no steps or grooves just slopes

if anyone has seen this configuration what ring is fitted the first from the top of the piston (main compression ring)

regards Neil

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take a look at this web site and then look at the cross section of your rings. Let us know which ring designs you have and we should be able to tell you the order.

Piston Ring Types

snorky

Threads
Hi Rivets

the only ring I can see on that page that looks like one of mine is the internally bevelled one .....the other ring is also internally bevelled but to a much longer slope ...what I will do is draw the profiles and upload it for you to see

cheers Neil

snorky

Threads
hi ive put a PDF attachment as my pictures are to big ....hopefully you can se the slope difference between the 2 rings

Neil

Attachments

• ring shape.pdf
    140.4 KB · Views: 14

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The best I can tell according to the shop manual the ring at the bottom of your pdf goes in the top groove of the piston.

snorky

Threads
The best I can tell according to the shop manual the ring at the bottom of your pdf goes in the top groove of the piston.

fantastic information ILENGINE.....so your manual shows a long slope ring does it

Neil

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I agree with IL, ring with the largest chamfer goes in the top ring groove.

snorky

Threads
I will fit as per your instructions. ....is it pip to the top
Neil

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The dot on top of the ring faces the top of the piston

snorky

Threads
hi all , thanks for all the help ....im well happy with the end result, after cleaning and re lapping the valves ...removing and measuring the piston and rings and lots more tinkering I now have a 35+ year old ish engine that runs like a watch ...im so impressed with the old cast iron Briggs engines...so robust and simple to work on
it will be re united with my simplicity landlord 3410 soon

cheers Neil