Carburetor worse than when I started! HELP!

gramboda

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welp, I thought I watched enough YT videos on how to troubleshoot a fuel leak on my Toro CCR 2500 single stage snowblower. Unfortunately, what started out as a running snow blower with a minor fuel leak is now a non-running snow blower with a fuel leak.
I traced the leak back to the carb and through research, decided the culprit is either the bowl seal or the needle and seat. Since, the repair kit contains both parts, I decided to replace both and hopefully expand my small engine knowledge in the process.
Here is what I did and what I have troubleshot so far:
- Remove bowl and gasket.
- Generally shot carb and my eye with carb cleaner
- Remove needle, spring and seat and replace
- Reinstall gasket and reinstall bowl
- Replace fuel filter - Confirmed in-line correctly
- Replace spark plug - Confirmed correct plug
- Reinstall covers etc

Now the engine will not turn over. Not quite sure how to test for spark or what else I should be testing for. Fairly certain the needle and seat are installed correctly but this is my first time so not 100% sure. There were no other leaks that I could see but as I mentioned, I still have a leak after all this. I did not remove the carb for this. I had it up on a bench and everything I needed to access seemed accessible once I removed the bowl cover so I decided to leave the carb mounted to the engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Snow blower is a Toro Model 38420 with 632751 carb.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Did you check to be sure the float actually floats? a float with a hole in it will do the same as a faulty needle/seat.
and what you mean by "engine will not turn over", lets be clear on our terminology here, Turn Over & Crank means spin. Fire or Start, means it goes Bang, or Bang bang bang and runs. ;)

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you put the seat in the right way if it is installed upside down it will leak. won't turn over hydraulic locked with fuel in cylinder? sometimes it is not seated all the way down if you have compressed air you can blow it and and reinstall it with no damage. Smooth side of seat faces up towards you and you can see the smooth hole where the needle seals against.

Geochurchi

Threads
Hi, what is the model number of the engine ? not the blower model .

Born2Mow

Threads
I traced the leak back to the carb and through research, decided the culprit is either the bowl seal or the needle and seat. Since, the repair kit contains both parts, I decided to replace both and hopefully expand my small engine knowledge in the process.
The fuel level does not normally submerge the float bowl gasket, therefore your issue is....
  • Trash in the fuel line holding the float valve open
  • Bad float/ float needle
It's not enough to replace the float valve. You must also....
  1. Diagnose the source of the trash (if any) in the fuel line
  2. Add fuel filters to the fuel line (as prevention)
  3. Replace the fuel hose(s) with SAE J30 spec fuel line (as prevention)
  4. Clean the float seat with compressed air
  5. Install the new float and needle
  6. Set/ check the float level