Carburetor issue Craftsman Edger with Tecumseh Motor

BobTy

Threads
Folks:
I acquired a not running Craftsman Edger (model 536.797512, code 217006877) with a 2.5 HP Tecumseh Engine (143-824022, serial 2168B) at a local garage sale. I suspect it hadn't been used in years. I got it to start but it won't stay running. I believe the carburetor is all gummed up. And there doesn't seem to be a choke on it. Needless to say, I am not familiar with these carburetors. I took the attached picture with the gas tank and air filter removed. There is a short black hose coming out of the carb that has a plug in it. That doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone explain what the purpose of the hose is and why is it plugged. I have looked at pictures of identical carbs but there is no hose on it. What is the function of that red tube coming out of the carb? When I press the primer bulb repeatedly, eventually gas comes out of that tube. Is it just an overflow provision. I am thinking that the previous owner must have modified something along the way. I am wondering if that is not the correct carb for the motor. Can anyone set me straight on all of this?
All responses are appreciated. Thanks.
Bobedger carb.jpg

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I see why it's not running. There is no fuel line connected to the carb, from the gas tank. That hose with the bolt in it should be a vent line that goes to the engine block. Let's let the others chime in here and see what they say.

slomo

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is not the correct carb or air filter system for that engine. Someone has put a different carb, probably from a lawnmower, on it. They needed to plug the vent hole because it probably went to the breather hose on the old engine. Fuel line is there, has two clamps on it. Red tube is a float bowl vent, protected by the air filter so no dirt would enter the bowl. Again this style was used on mower engines.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
looks like the original carb was a diaphragm type float control, but the replacement carb for it is a bowl type carb with a choke. Looks like somebody frabricobbled a different carb onto the engine. The black tube would normally be connected to the breather on some engines. And the red tube is connected to the fuel bowl vent. it extends out into the air filter to prevent cavitation issues.

Like what Rivets said, it appears to be a 4 stroke carb from a mower not a 2 stroke carb.

BobTy

Threads
Thanks to all. I agree that it is the wrong carb on the motor. However, the air filter assembly is correct based on pictures I have seen. Will install the proper carb and that should fix everything. Good compression, no unusual motor noise so should provide years of use.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Luckily, carbs for those small engines shouldn't cost too much. Don't forget the proper OEM linkages and gaskets.

Don't over torque the mounting nuts. If you are normally right handed, use your LEFT hand to torque those small nuts. This opposite hand trick will lower the final torque value the nut sees.

slomo