Carburetor, Fuel and Solenoid question?

Hardluck

Threads
If a carburetor has an electric solenoid that shuts of the fuel when you turn the ignition off. Does it really matter if you use non ethanol fuel or not?

When the solenoid is off is is closed and no fuel is in the carburetor so there should be no issue with what type of fuel you use and if you the turn of the fuel lines off or not. The carburetor should be in a dry fuel condition, correct?

Am I correct on this or just confused about the solenoid function.

Red Good

Threads
Bowl should be full of fuel just stops any further flow after the key is shut off .

Hardluck

Threads
interesting.... when I remove the solenoid there isn't any or very much fuel in the bowl. What does that tell me? do I have an issue with something?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If a carburetor has an electric solenoid that shuts of the fuel when you turn the ignition off. Does it really matter if you use non ethanol fuel or not?

When the solenoid is off is is closed and no fuel is in the carburetor so there should be no issue with what type of fuel you use and if you the turn of the fuel lines off or not. The carburetor should be in a dry fuel condition, correct?

Am I correct on this or just confused about the solenoid function.
Bowl should be full of fuel just stops any further flow after the key is shut off .
The fuel bowl should be full of fuel at all times except when ran dry. The solenoid doesn't stop fuel from flowing into the carb, and will not prevent fuel from overflowing the carb in the event of a float valve failure. The solenoid, often referred to as a fuel shutoff solenoid isn't a fuel shutoff valve. It is an afterfire solenoid The purpose is to prevent fuel from being drawn into the engine from normal valve and piston cycling and then deposited into the hot muffler were it ignites, causing the dreaded bang.

Hardluck

Threads
The fuel bowl should be full of fuel at all times except when ran dry. The solenoid doesn't stop fuel from flowing into the carb, and will not prevent fuel from overflowing the carb in the event of a float valve failure. The solenoid, often referred to as a fuel shutoff solenoid isn't a fuel shutoff valve. It is an afterfire solenoid The purpose is to prevent fuel from being drawn into the engine from normal valve and piston cycling and then deposited into the hot muffler were it ignites, causing the dreaded bang.
Thank you for the clarification on the solenoid. Very good explanation. I appreciate it.
What does it say to me if my carb bowl is not full of fuel when I remove the solenoid?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What does it say to me if my carb bowl is not full of fuel when I remove the solenoid?
You need more gas in the carb bowl. See what is causing your lack of fuel delivery. Same thing with your car. If the gas gauge reads E, and you sputter to the shoulder, what do you think you might need to do?

Open gas cap. Shot in the dark but vent might be clogged.

Hardluck

Threads
You need more gas in the carb bowl. See what is causing your lack of fuel delivery. Same thing with your car. If the gas gauge reads E, and you sputter to the shoulder, what do you think you might need to do?

Open gas cap. Shot in the dark but vent might be clogged.
Thank you, I guess I will need to buy a new carburetor, I have replaced the fuel, fuel filter, fuel lines, cleaned the carb, replaced the solenoid and fuel pump. drained and refilled with new gas the tanks. What's next?
Also the air filters!