Cant get flywheel off of Craftsman M260 self propelled lawnmower with Honda GCV 160 engine

mjmeow

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Cant get flywheel off of Craftsman M260 self propelled lawnmower with Honda GCV 160 engine
Hi! I have a sheared key and cannot for the life of me get the flywheel off to replace with a new key. I have a jaw gear puller but the flywheel will not budge! Any ideas???
Thank you!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7394.jpeg
    IMG_7394.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7393.jpeg
    IMG_7393.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 9

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / Cant get flywheel off of Craftsman M260 self propelled lawnmower with Honda GCV 160 engine
Get a hammer and Lightly tap the flywheel and puller (be sure the puller has pressure on the flywheel), just enough to give it some vibration and it should pop off the taper.

mjmeow

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your reply. I already tried that and it didn't loosen. Maybe I am not hitting it hard enough? Its like something is preventing the flywheel from popping off

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Shouldn't be anything preventing it from coming off once the nut is off.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
A sheared key can sometime bind the flywheel on the taper. Try tightening the forcing screw until you can't tighten it anymore then using a 2# brass hammer give the forcing screw a good wallop. Then check to see if the forcing screw loosen any. If it did re-tighten and smack it again. It might take several times of re-tightening and smacking. As long as the forcing is loosening each time the flywheel is moving.

But be carefully and check crankshaft stub and make sure it is not the one getting smashed. So far I only had one flywheel I couldn't remove but someone had installed it using an impact gun.

Last edited:

Zuke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Things to try. Can you get a 3 legged puller? Or if those holes are threaded use the type that bolt to the flywheel. Often you can check out pullers from auto parts places.
I had one stuck so badly that I was breaking 5/16 bolts. I ended up rethreading to 3/8 bolts. Still no luck. I finally added some heat and lotsa muscle. It finally gave it up.