Can non-self propelled wheels mount in the back?

bwright1818

Threads
I have a 8125P. This is the aluminum deck, four square, rear bagger, "school bus" model. It has self propelled rear wheels, a feature that I never use. This is a good, clean, powerful machine but is a bear to push around, because, even disengaged, the self propelled rear wheels drag like crazy. Has anybody ever tried putting a set of front wheels with no gear, on the back? If I bought a set of front wheels off eBay, would they fit on the back, making this an easy-to-push machine?

mullins87

Threads
Is the shaft those rear wheels are mounted to splined or keyed? If it is splined, I don't know how you could do that. If it is keyed, you could simply try removing the key and see what happens.

bwright1818

Threads
Thank you! I kind of thought of that, but it looked like some kind of rivet. I didn't want to permanently defeat the option, in case I ever have to sell it. Can the gear also be reinstalled? Or maybe I should just buy some rear wheels and take the gear off of THEM?

impalass

Threads
Thank you! I kind of thought of that, but it looked like some kind of rivet. I didn't want to permanently defeat the option, in case I ever have to sell it. Can the gear also be reinstalled? Or maybe I should just buy some rear wheels and take the gear off of THEM?
You can reinstall the gears.