Engine Can' get engine to turn over. No sound when I turn key.

carlb43

Threads
  • / Can' get engine to turn over. No sound when I turn key.
Well here is my story. I have a Craftsman 46 inch rider with an Intek V-Twin OHV Briggs & Statton engine. I know that I have a charging system problem. If I charged the battery to full charge 13+ volts it would start normaly until the battery ran down. So in the interim I bought a Diehard 750 Portable Battery Pack to get it running if the battery ran down and I could not start it.

I would set on the tractor and set the pack on the cowl and connect the 750 and start it. Yesterday I made a big mistake and connected the Battery Pack backwards. Turned the key and it made a whiring sound. Now with a fully charged battery and/or the Portable Battery Pack nothing happens when I turn the key.

What did I mess up? Any suggestions to correct the problem?

Thanks in advance.

carlb43

Threads
I am going to reply to my own post. I gave up on this one and sent it to the shop. They got it running and said all it needed was a new battery. The alternator and charging sytem checked out. When I was tinkering with it I took the battery over to Interstate and they charged it over night and said it was ok. So go figure. They are bringing the mower back today. Time will tell.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Carl, voltage- only checks are not definitive. Buy a bat hydrometer to check specific gravity of electrolyte. Much better test. Cheap and useful tool. Make sure rubber tip will reach down into electrolyte .