Buying used ZTR: Exmark XP or Ferris IS3000Z?

gsines

Threads
For many years I've been mowing with my hydrostatic Ford 1220 tractor with a 60" 914 mid-mount deck, and I'm now looking to speed up my mowing time by procuring a zero turn, which is a complete novelty to me. So I'm looking for buying advice.

I probably only mow 3-4 acres on a weekly basis, but must mow 15+ acres at least a few times a year to keep it from getting away from me. Much of that acreage is/was a Christmas tree farm, so the maneuverability of a ZT will come in handy, and the hazards of irregular terrain and the occasional old stump cause me to limit my search to the commercial ZT category for the durabilty factor.

Where I come from, at least 4 out of every 5 zero turns I see on lawn care company trailers are Lazers, so I started my search with Exmarks. But after spending much of the weekend on my Ford absorbing the humps and bumps on my property, and doing more online research, I've shifted my search to a Ferris IS3000 because of the independent suspension that I've not found offered by any other manufacturers. I'm not so much worried about my comfort level. After all, I've read good things about the suspension seat on the Lazers. I am, however, very concerned about traction on irregular terrain. Not any steep hills to speak of, but lots of high and low spots that I can envision getting one drive wheel up in the air with a rigid frame mower. It's never been an issue with my Ford because of the independent front axle and foot pedal engaged posi-traction. But I hate the prospect of having to jump off my ZT to push myself off a hump who knows how many times over the course of mowing my property. Is this a legitimate concern? And if so, would the Ferris suspension prevent or at least minimize such hang-ups?

I can稚 afford a new commercial Exmark or Ferris, so I知 looking used; restricting my search to mowers that have not been used commercially and have no more than a few hundred hours. There痴 an Exmark dealer (that I think highly of) about an hour痴 drive from me, and a Ferris dealer (that I致e never visited) about the same distance away. So I壇 give a slight edge to the Exmark in that category, but not enough to make up my mind for me.

Used options I'm currently considering are a 60" 2004 Lazer XP w/27HP Dihatsu diesel with 187 hrs for $6500, or a 61" 2005 Ferris IS3000Z w/25HP Kawasaki air-cooled V-twin with 220 hrs for $5300. I like the diesel because of the reliability, longevity, and fuel economy I've experienced with my Ford, but not sure if it would be worth an extra $1200 to me. And I知 leaning toward the Ferris for the suspension-related reasons I already explained.

I'd need to drive 3+ hours to look at either mower so I need to make my decision up front. Both mowers could sell before I get a chance to look at them this weekend, but I知 very curious to hear everyone痴 take on this regardless. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think either machine would work well for you. Give each a good test drive, and then go with you gut. If I can afford it I think would go with the diesel. You have experience with them and as you know they offer more power and if properly maintained will last long. Good luck with your selection. Don't forget to look at and talk to the owner, it will give you clues as to how well the unit was maintained. Ask them who serviced the units, and how often. Was it homeowner or dealer serviced? Some owners service well and others only when needed. Good luck.

gsines

Threads
I've talked to both owners and get a pretty good vibe on how both mowers have been treated. Unfortunately, the Lazer is a 3 hour drive to my southeast, and the Ferris is 4 hours to my northeast. So I don't think I'm up to traveling to test drive both mowers. That's why I'm trying to make my decision up front. But thanks for the advice. I'll ask some more in-depth questions regarding the service history of both mowers before making my decision.

gsines

Threads
Well, just wanted to let everyone know that went for the Lazer XP. I couldn't lay off the diesel. Looking forward to using it, but not sure when. We had nearly a foot of snow today in far western Maryland. Thanks for the advice, Rivets.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
We sell Ferris line at work - the "shop" thinks the motors are under powered - machine bogs down while cutting - take it for a test cut before buying a Ferris

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will enjoy it. There's one thing I would do before I cut with it. Since it is used, do you have a friend who can give it a good look over? I doubt that you will have any problems, but before going out a checkover will give you a lot of piece of mind. It will probably confirm that you got a good deal. Only a thought.