BS Intek 17hp "stuck"

dj098

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs 17hp intek john Deere L100 will not turn over unless plug is out. I have adjusted valves, replaced starter which helped for a small amount of time e.g. it would start. Then it would just turn over - without catching - but wouldn't start. Now it's back to "catching" unless I take plug out. I do know the battery is drained significantly now, but regardless something is still wrong. Maybe the compression release, I'm not sure. But when it turns over with spark plug out it spits out air with each stroke, which seems to me like that would mean the release is working. Any ideas? Unfortunately I can't post the video I have due to the size and format restrictions, but you can visibly see the puffs of air going out when spark plug is out.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Check the valve clearances and for the ACR bump of the intake rocker. IF rocker bump is not there then the ACR on the camshaft is most likely broken. Camshafts back ordered until after Christmas.

dj098

Forum Newbie
Threads
I see a small bump when on the rocker and valve clearances were correct. I wouldn't even begin to know how or have the tools to replace a camshaft so I guess it may have to go to a shop.