Broke something in transmission trying to remove fan

karrun

Threads
  • / Broke something in transmission trying to remove fan
My husband and I were trying to remove a chewed up transmission fan that sits on top of the transmission on our Craftsman T2400 riding mower. The bolt wouldn't loosen so we ended up using a breaker bar after trying lubricant. Something gave and we proceeded to try to unscrew the bolt. It kept turning and turning. Obviously something broke inside.
Would it be worth trying to fix this or have it fixed? Of course we had just gotten done with replacing the blades and drive belt before this happened. Any ideas how much it could cost?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
people here need the model and serial numbers to even have a chance to make a suggestion. Using the T2400 model, which could have different variants, the transmission online looks to be $600 - $800 as a complete unit but without a model and serial you really won't know. There are places that rebuild / repair some transmissions. Using the generic T2400 it may be a Hydro Gear transmission. If it is, they have a service locator. https://www.hydro-gear.com/locator/ in addition to shops that specialize in rebuilding transmissions for mowers.

Last edited:

karrun

Threads
I think the model number is

917203780​

Thanks, I'll check out that locator.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hmmm model is coming as having a RS800 which doesn't have a fan.

Look on the transaxle housing to see if it have a make and model on it. Most likely on one of the axle housings.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
As Star Tech indicated, that model does not have a transmission fan in any of the pictorials. Check the number again please.

Last edited:

karrun

Threads
Sorry, the model number is 917.203831. Serial number is 022616D001037

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Hydro Gear link I posted earlier is whom I would reach out to for local service. I would have used an old belt around the pulley to hold it but that is water over the dam now. I took a look at the transmission manual and it looks reasonably complex and some special tools were mentioned. That said, if the part number in the online parts manual is correct, there are new ones on ebay for $300 +/- plus shipping. PLEASE check the tags on your transmission to be sure you get the correct part.

Last edited:

karrun

Threads
Thanks for the info. We'll reach out to a service person and see how much they'd charge to replace it.