Export thread

Brisket for burgers, instead of ground beef

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

So I was at the store the other day. Me and this other guy got to chatting (waiting on the butcher). And told me that if you have a meat grinder, it's cheaper and better to ground brisket into hamburger meat, than to buy the hamburger meat already prepared. You know, like in those logs.

I just got done watching this video, and I think I'm going to check it out. Has anyone else done this?

StarTech

StarTech

Just need to be chop into cubes so you get a fair mix of lean to fat ratio.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Just need to be chop into cubes so you get a fair mix of lean to fat ratio.

What do they taste like?

StarTech

StarTech

Basically beef is beef when ground up. The flavor change due the grinding, just don't over grind or you have tough burgers. I have been making my own sausage for years until I mover and haven't found my grinder yet. Pack away in some box just haven't look for it since the doc got me on a restricted diet and I hate the diet of no salt. Yuck.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Basically beef is beef when ground up. The flavor change due the grinding, just don't over grind or you have tough burgers. I have been making my own sausage for years until I mover and haven't found my grinder yet. Pack away in some box just haven't look for it since the doc got me on a restricted diet and I hate the diet of no salt. Yuck.

Brisket is cheaper than hamburger meat. Plus it's got it's own fat to mix with it. I bought a mixer than as a grinder attachment.

As far as taste goes, some parts do taste different. I tried cooking a sirloin like a roast once, and tried a roast on a grill once. The steak didn't taste like a roast. And the roast didn't taste like a steak.

Brisket has a unique flavor also.

Hamburger meat, in those logs/rolls, probably has a lot of different parts of a cow mixed in.

StarTech

StarTech

Yes the hamburger is just the scraps grounded up. At the supermarket where I worked at would get in what they called course ground 10# tubes while we ground the meat we added in all of our beef trimmings. We had a 73/27 mix, a 80/20 mix (ground chuck), and a 90/10 mix (ground sirloin). The only difference was the amount of fat content. But today's supermarkets rarely grind their our meats it all comes in prepackaged. So your meat market guy is not even the meat cutter anymore. It sorta our industry where we have part changers instead true mechanics.

As for taste beef is a lot like pork different parts taste differently. Now a sirloin streak and a sirloin roast would taste very much the same due being same meat but the cooking method does affect taste as do the bones. It is like deer here I don't deer steaks but the same meat ground into burger meat is edible to me. The grinding actually affect the taste.

This like boneless pork chops and a boneless pork loin. It is the same meat. Just like country style pork ribs, pork steaks, and a Boston butt (upper front pork shoulder) is all cut from the same piece of meat. Now bone-in pork chops and the sirloin chops are from the backbone same boneless pork loin except the bones adds a different layer of taste. Here I never buy boneless pork chops, just the whole or half loin and slice it up myself this way I can control whatever thickness I want.

So if you wish to save some money you buy the roast and slice it into steaks yourself after it is near freezing temps (which stiffens the meat and make makes easier to slice).

As for hamburger you would be a lot healthier if you grind your own as you know exactly what is in it where that grounded beef from the store is just about anything including bad parts.
And you definitely don't want to know what is in your favorite hot dogs and bologna.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Yes the hamburger is just the scraps grounded up. At the supermarket where I worked at would get in what they called course ground 10# tubes while we ground the meat we added in all of our beef trimmings. We had a 73/27 mix, a 80/20 mix (ground chuck), and a 90/10 mix (ground sirloin). The only difference was the amount of fat content. But today's supermarkets rarely grind their our meats it all comes in prepackaged. So your meat market guy is not even the meat cutter anymore. It sorta our industry where we have part changers instead true mechanics.

As for taste beef is a lot like pork different parts taste differently. Now a sirloin streak and a sirloin roast would taste very much the same due being same meat but the cooking method does affect taste as do the bones. It is like deer here I don't deer steaks but the same meat ground into burger meat is edible to me. The grinding actually affect the taste.

This like boneless pork chops and a boneless pork loin. It is the same meat. Just like country style pork ribs, pork steaks, and a Boston butt (upper front pork shoulder) is all cut from the same piece of meat. Now bone-in pork chops and the sirloin chops are from the backbone same boneless pork loin except the bones adds a different layer of taste. Here I never buy boneless pork chops, just the whole or half loin and slice it up myself this way I can control whatever thickness I want.

So if you wish to save some money you buy the roast and slice it into steaks yourself after it is near freezing temps (which stiffens the meat and make makes easier to slice).

As for hamburger you would be a lot healthier if you grind your own as you know exactly what is in it where that grounded beef from the store is just about anything including bad parts.
And you definitely don't want to know what is in your favorite hot dogs and bologna.

I went to Super 1 earlier today (they always have good sales).. I talked to the butcher and he said he's grind it all up for me, at no charge. Holy moly. When their briskets go on sale, I'm gonna stock up.
They're $3.49lb right now.