Briggs & Stratton Oil Over fill issues (Hayter)

rippers

Forum Newbie
Threads
I picked up a self propelled Hayter Harrier 41 with Briggs and Stratton 650 EX engine 190cc (looks huge) pull start and rear roller, my Everyday is a Honda izy 145 GCVx which is faultless but doesn't have the stripping roller so was happy to get the Hayter which does at great price..

usual story old lady owner, husband passed away, apparently only used a couple of times blah blah blah but to be honest It looked very clean and barely used but had oil all over the deck.

Got it home and couldn't believe how much oil was in it (clean oil), was over filled by over half a litre, sorted the level out, air filter was soaked in oil and swapped that out, exhaust box had oil in it too and cleaned that out, spark plug was black and I degreased it wire brushed it and re gapped it.

Started the engine and it started first time but ran like crap like it was missing or something and jerky. I read up a little and it was suggested that the crank case oil breather might be block, took the air filter off and blew on the pipe and it seemed it clear something.

Engine now starts and smokes to start with but has calmed down now, but it still runs like crap. It cuts the grass absolutely beautifully but it doesn't sound right, it has the odd moment when it runs well and sounds nice but then it kind of starts lowering revs a bit and running crap again. I've pushed the governor spring bracket a little bit out to raise the revs but doesn't seem to improve it and when in the odd moment it starts running well its offer revving.
Its does appear to be using a lot more fuel then the Honda Izy so maybe that's the issue not looked into how that's adjusted yet.

I'm going to buy a new spark plug and change the oil, I understand there might be a bit of oil to still burn off inside the engine so it may rectify itself.. I'm hoping its not done the piston rings.. that said I don't know what the symptoms would be if it had?

Any advice welcome