Briggs & Stratton 3hp - no spark

IzzyPop

Forum Newbie
Hello folks, i am new here and need halls help. I have a older Mclane reel mower with a 1987 B&S 3HP, model 80202 type 2915 that just stopped working one day while i was mowing.
It is a no (or low) spark issue.
It is a magnetron setup.
I have tried a new coil i bought online - part #7287 that replaced B&S # 3985
I tried a used coil a mower shop let me borrow
I have kept the kill switch disconnected.
I have gapped the coil using a business card
I cleaned the magnets
I created a tool to use with my drill to turn the motor over without having to use the pull cord to get enough rpm while watching for a spark - rpm on drill on low setting believe is 400 rpm-ish.
I tested the spark using 2 different testers and grounding/holding the plug to the engine bolt

I thought i saw a spark once or twice but nothing really consistent.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
 
Part list gives number has 398593 or 398428 used for 14-3/8" ignition cable, if you taken off the kill wire, it can only be coil or flywheel if the gap is right, you have fitted it the right way round..?
 
Back
Top