Export thread

Briggs mystery

B

bwm

Mid 80's model 12 hp Briggs. Every time I try to start I have to remove breather element. Starts right up. Put element back on. Runs good. Have adjusted carb, runs strong & idles right. Doesn't matter if choke or not. Must remove element. Nothing is pinching any wires or obstructing any airflow. Above my understanding! Ideas please!

cpurvis

cpurvis

Does it do the same thing with a new element?

Is the element obstructing movement of the choke in any way?

I

ILENGINE

Does the oil smell like gas, or do you have gas setting in the bottom of the carb when you remove the air cleaner.

B

bwm

Haven't tried a new air element. This one is reasonably clean-has the foam wraparound on also. Doesn't pull engine down when placed back on. Nothing is obstructing choke. Does seem like gasoline puddling in bottom of carb. Oil doesn't smell like gasoline.

cpurvis

cpurvis

So far, I'm at a loss.

The only thing I would know to do is take the wrapper off the element and try it that way.

If that doesn't work, get a new element and try that.

You're right--it IS a mystery.

I

ILENGINE

I have seen filter elements that looked clean enough to be put on the shelf as brand new, and were totally clogged. the ponding of gas in the carb may be your start issue with having to remove the filter. Would be the same as dumping gas into the intake to see if it would start while diagnosing a no fuel carb issue.

cpurvis

cpurvis

I have seen filter elements that looked clean enough to be put on the shelf as brand new, and were totally clogged. the ponding of gas in the carb may be your start issue with having to remove the filter. Would be the same as dumping gas into the intake to see if it would start while diagnosing a no fuel carb issue.

Totally agree. The only way to tell if a filter is clogged is with a restriction indicator.

B

bwm

Sounds promising. Getting a new filter today. Do you guys think the gasoline ponding in carb is related to filter or a whole other issue? If so, what could it be?

I

ILENGINE

The ponding is another issue. could be float valve related. Float set too high, or valve not sealing correctly.