Export thread

Briggs auto choke..

T

ThatOneGuy1968

This is my first experience with Briggs auto choke with a wind vain and I can’t make it work right no matter what I try..
the thermostat does not work fast enough.. you have to hold the choke open until it gets good and warm..
Hmmm..
I replaced the thermostat and adjusted it properly..
It take longer to wam up than the original did..
I’m about to give this thing away to someone I don’t like or something..
Cowboy..

I

ILENGINE

The thermostats purpose it to hold the choke open for a warm restart. The air vane should immediately open the choke fully at startup. Some of the engine have had issues with people bagging that have to shut off the engine to empty the bag and have issue with restart because the engine hasn't ran long enough to fully activate the thermo controlled choke. Normally that is the 3-4 minute range.

So if the air vane isn't opening the choke on start up that is were the issue is.

T

ThatOneGuy1968

I would have to agree, but I don k now why it’s not opening the choke other than the thermostat is not holding it open until it warms up really good..

O

Oddjob

I noticed that it is easy to over tighten the screw that the vane swivels on and this results in an impingement on the vane’s movement. Now when I work on one of these auto choke Briggs I always make sure the vane is moving freely.

I

ILENGINE

The first post in this thread may be relative to your situation. https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/my-friend-got-ripped-off-by-the-dealer.77234/

T

ThatOneGuy1968

I noticed that it is easy to over tighten the screw that the vane swivels on and this results in an impingement on the vane’s movement. Now when I work on one of these auto choke Briggs I always make sure the vane is moving freely.
Yes it’s moving freely.. I wonder if someone sold me the wrong strength air Cain spring.. but I tried stretching other springs and such for different tensions..
Also the thermostat doesn’t even start to hold it open until it’s pretty much completely warmed up.:
Cowboy..

T

ThatOneGuy1968

The thermostats purpose it to hold the choke open for a warm restart. The air vane should immediately open the choke fully at startup. Some of the engine have had issues with people bagging that have to shut off the engine to empty the bag and have issue with restart because the engine hasn't ran long enough to fully activate the thermo controlled choke. Normally that is the 3-4 minute range.

So if the air vane isn't opening the choke on start up that is were the issue is.
How does it open the choke right after you start it..
Cowboy..

I

ILENGINE

How does it open the choke right after you start it..
Cowboy..
At this point is would help us if we had the Briggs model number information from the engine so we can check the parts diagrams and other sources to determine what setup your engine has. Briggs has several different versions depending on the engine.

But is a quick rundown. When the engine starts air from the rotating fan attached to the flywheel pushes the choke air vane away from the flywheel. the vane is connected to the choke shaft via either a linkage or in some setups the end of the vane has a hanging pin that sits in a notch on the choke shaft that rotates the choke to the open position.

T

ThatOneGuy1968

At this point is would help us if we had the Briggs model number information from the engine so we can check the parts diagrams and other sources to determine what setup your engine has. Briggs has several different versions depending on the engine.

But is a quick rundown. When the engine starts air from the rotating fan attached to the flywheel pushes the choke air vane away from the flywheel. the vane is connected to the choke shaft via either a linkage or in some setups the end of the vane has a hanging pin that sits in a notch on the choke shaft that rotates the choke to the open position.
Ok.. no one has explained it like that to me.. no one has said that the flywheel air pushes the wind vain to the open piosition..
Thank you..
186T02-2299-B1
It’s also a toro 20331
Cowboy..

S

scoyote

This is a common problem with people shutting down to dump clippings and then trying to restart a hot engine. The mower defaults to choke when it shuts down ready for the next cold start--it has a tiny spring to assist a return to choke--Once the engine starts the unobstructed air vane and a correctly operating thermostat should overwhelm the tiny spring and hold the choke open---The problem is the restart of a hot engine if the choke stays on with a faulty auto choke thermostat not doing its job .Whateveer happened to pull your choke on and push it off---too easy! Best to not shut down imho