Export thread

Briggs and Stratton quantum engine

T

tar34

I would greatly appreciate some thoughts on my lawn mower problem

i have a Briggs and Stratton quantum engine
it has spark and fresh fuel but to get it started I have to pull and pull the cord to get it to turn over
and when i get it started it runs for a couple of seconds and dies
any one have idea's

M

mechanic mark

Check oil level on dipstick & condition of air filter. You need to adjust valves with engine cold so post model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx, & code from engine. What weight oil are you using:?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

does it have a red primer bulb, or does it have auto choke?

T

tar34

it has a auto choke

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

okay... most likely the carb will need cleaned. probably what is is happening is it will run on the choke, and then when the muffler warms up the thermostat opens the choke and it dies due to not enough fuel.

T

tar34

I Just took the air filter housing off and the air filter is brand new

and when the throttle cable is in off the first valve is open but when you go to put it in to full power it closes

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

could you post a picture of the the carburetor and linkages on top?

peteco

peteco

I Just took the air filter housing off and the air filter is brand new

and when the throttle cable is in off the first valve is open but when you go to put it in to full power it closes
The throttle in full power close the choke, and the carb is choke on. After the engine runs few seconds you must close the throttle at working RPMs, and the choke open to run.

T

tar34

WIN_20211116_16_11_02_Pro.jpgWIN_20211116_16_11_09_Pro.jpgWIN_20211116_16_10_52_Pro.jpg

H

hlw49

Can't really see the linkages that go to carb. it is dark in that area.

T

tar34

been away for a week to see friends

i have fixed the problem governor linkage was on incorrectly

now it blows very very black smoke out of the muffler
and surges

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Hmmm, surging is usually indicative of running LEAN (not enough fuel) and blowing black smoke is indicative of running rich (too much fuel). However, sometimes surging can be caused by a governor that is out of whack and needs adjusted.
First, i would check the engine oil to be sure the float needle is sticking open and flooding the engine (flooding while sitting and contaminating engine oil).