Briggs and Stratton Auto Choke on Toro Problem

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Which could mean that the linkage may have been bent closed, not allowing the thermostat to push it open, or hold it tight again spring tension at startup. I will agree that the thermostat could be bad, but we are being given the tail end of the problem. Has this happened over time or all of a sudden. Remember we cannot see what is happening, which to me means checking everything before throwing parts at it. He can do what he wants, just want to let him know he has options. Governors do go out of adjustment and linkage do get bent by accident, on purpose and by gremlins.

lefty2cox

Threads
The one I'm working on is dialed in per my Tach. My apologies if this got confusing. I piggybacked on this post because it had kind of fell off and I had an identical problem. I thought I may be able to help as well as solve a similar problem I'm having. Based on the design of both machines and the symptoms, I would agree that the choke thermostat is the culprit. I was just looking for some confirmation.

Does anyone have an opinion on how long it should take these thermostat type chokes to fully actuate? The machine runs at full RPM once started. I don't have a lot of experience regarding the elapsed time for these to fully engage. I was hoping to find something in the manual like...." let it warm up for x or y minutes..." but there's nothing. Most of the auto-chokes I've worked on have been the air vane type.

lefty2cox

Threads
Wasn't the choke. Was able to get a new one and still have the same "problem". Maybe it's not a problem. I think it's just this thing needs time to warm up.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Which could mean that the linkage may have been bent closed, not allowing the thermostat to push it open, or hold it tight again spring tension at startup. I will agree that the thermostat could be bad, but we are being given the tail end of the problem. Has this happened over time or all of a sudden. Remember we cannot see what is happening, which to me means checking everything before throwing parts at it. He can do what he wants, just want to let him know he has options. Governors do go out of adjustment and linkage do get bent by accident, on purpose and by gremlins.
True that. Hard to see from a video of the entire ball game.

slomo

lefty2cox

Threads
I can't speak for the O.P., who posted the video, but the machine I'm working on has an intact linkage and properly set governor. It came to me after a leaky carb upon the first gas of the season so I never saw it run before personally before that. But I'm told it was running fine. About a year old with only a couple hours on it.