Briggs and Stratton 675 advice needed

mcarns

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was getting black smoke out of my Briggs and Stratton Craftsman 675 mower, so I removed what I thought was the muffler. There is an arm that pivots around 20 degrees and goes upward into the mower, and now I cannot determine how to reconnect it to whatever it is supposed to reconnect to. Does this make sense to anyone and can anyone help me figure out what it is supposed to hook on to? Without it connected, the mower still starts, but it stays at an unsustainable low RPM and then almost dies on me. Thanks!

lakeviewpe

Threads
Pictures may help to identify what you are working with, it will be hard to tell you what to put where when you do not know what anything is called. What all did you take off, and if you are looking at the front of the mower, is this piece on the right, left or front of mower.

mcarns

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sir,

As you face the mower, it is on the right side. There is a fairly square hollow metal piece, about six inches in length, three inches in height, which I assume is the muffler. It has two bolts that connect it to the side of the engine. When those two bolts are removed, behind the square muffler is gasket, then a "rocker arm", that is about six inches in length and goes upward into the upper housing of the mower, and then another gasket. This rocker arm is what I am having trouble determining the connection to. Does that help? I am new to this and so I am not sure that I would know how to post a picture, but if this does not help, then I will try to find a way to do that.

Thanks for taking the time to try and help me!

lakeviewpe

Threads
The part you are referring to I believe is called the thermostat on this model. Since there is no primer, it has an autochoke. The rod should go straight up and there is a plastic piece that should go over the top of it and just kind of hook around it. The plastic piece is long and goes from the left side of the engine to the right. It is called an air vane. The picture wont show you how it hooks exactly, but it hooks onto part referenced 1386.

Attachments

• briggs.gif
    briggs.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 73

lakeviewpe

Threads
Ok so I just got done looking at one of these, and correction, the plastic piece does not clip on, it just sits to where the thermostat will engage it. make sure that the hook on the end of it goes around the "rod".