Briggs and stratton 3.5hp and 4hp interchangable parts?

rcadolphin

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Briggs and stratton 3.5hp and 4hp interchangable parts?
Hello I have 2 mowers a 1995 briggs and stratton 3.5hp classic and 4hp quantum. The 4hp keeps fouling the carb now it starts and dies and smokes out the exhaust or carb on shutdown when it ran. The 3.5hp wont start and backfires every 3-5 pulls my question is can I interchange parts like the valves to make the 3.5hp run again? might sound silly but the hp is similair any help to get one or both working would be much appreciated. Thank you

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would check for a partially sheared flywheel key on the 3.5 engine. On the 4 I would start by cleaning and adjusting the carb.

Phil G

Threads
Hello I have 2 mowers a 1995 briggs and stratton 3.5hp classic and 4hp quantum. The 4hp keeps fouling the carb now it starts and dies and smokes out the exhaust or carb on shutdown when it ran. The 3.5hp wont start and backfires every 3-5 pulls my question is can I interchange parts like the valves to make the 3.5hp run again? might sound silly but the hp is similair any help to get one or both working would be much appreciated. Thank you

Go to Briggs site Document Moved go to the parts section and enter details of both engines. The parts diagram will let you know what part numbers are interchangeable.

Good luck, Phil:smile:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads

I'd go with Rivets, work on them one at a time make a list of parts you need, but you will only know that when you take them apart, some of the parts will fit, others no, post up the numbers on both engines, you can get hold of many good used parts.