Briggs and Stratton 190cc just revs

lawnmowerer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all, last summer I was mowing my lawn and it was raining a little bit. I decided it was a good time to clean off the mower underside and all, so I hosed it down. I may have broke my mower in doing so by not waiting long enough for it to cool down. Anyway, now when I fire it up it takes a while for it to start and when it does it just revs weakly. I replaced the governor spring and the air vane spring hoping that was the issue.. it wasn't and it still simply revs and never gets full power. I also replaced the gas, oil, air filter, and spark plug since this happened with no luck... Any ideas on what else to look at? I think I'll try to clean the carb next..
Thanks!

Last edited:

Pumper54

Threads
What condition is the air filter? Depending on how to cleaned the bottom of the mower you may filled the filter with gas or oil. Replace it with a new one and see what happens. Also the make and model of the mower helps as the B&S 190cc engine is on a lot of different ones. It makes figuring out the issue a lot easier.
Tom

lawnmowerer

Forum Newbie
Threads
What condition is the air filter? Depending on how to cleaned the bottom of the mower you may filled the filter with gas or oil. Replace it with a new one and see what happens. Also the make and model of the mower helps as the B&S 190cc engine is on a lot of different ones. It makes figuring out the issue a lot easier.
Tom

I forgot to mention that I did replace the air filter as well. I am going to try to clean out the carb I think. Thank you for your response!!

Pumper54

Threads
Does it run better with the choke on or off? You might have an intake leak that is causing a lean condition. Let us know what you find.
Tom

lawnmowerer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does it run better with the choke on or off? You might have an intake leak that is causing a lean condition. Let us know what you find.
Tom

Thanks again for your follow up! I cleaned out the carb and that worked perfectly. Must've loosened some dirt or something and it somehow made its way into the carb.

Pumper54

Threads
Good deal, glad you let us know what worked for you. Keep an eye on the inside of the fuel tank looking for crud and or rust if it is a metal tank. Stuff in the fuel will mess up a carb in a flash.
Tom