Export thread

Briggs 850pro poor idle

RYANS'

RYANS'

My mower wants to die when at idle. The thing is when I tip it back the idle smooths out to normal. Have replaced carburetor still da same problem. It will idle smooth then all of a sudden die down like there is no air. And then idle back up again. Is my fuel tank blocked? This is really weird.

R

Rivets

Provide us with the engine model, type and code numbers so we have an idea of which engine you have. Should be located on the shroud or muffler guard.

RYANS'

RYANS'

Mfg. No: 125P02-0012-F1. 190cc The cover is black. The deck is 30i nch. Toro, two blades.

R

Rivets

With that engine more than likely the man jet is clogged. Depending on your ability you can try to clean and rebuild the carb or replace the main jet. I’ve attached a breakdown of your carb. https://www.partstree.com/models/125p02-0012-f1-briggs-stratton-vertical-engine/carburetor-group-4/

RYANS'

RYANS'

With that engine more than likely the man jet is clogged. Depending on your ability you can try to clean and rebuild the carb or replace the main jet. I’ve attached a breakdown of your carb. https://www.partstree.com/models/125p02-0012-f1-briggs-stratton-vertical-engine/carburetor-group-4/
I'll have a look, brand new carb install one month old.

R

Rivets

Where did you get the carb?

RYANS'

RYANS'

Where did you get the carb?
Stihl shop

R

Rivets

Now I’m a little concerned when you say Stihl shop. I’ve got to “Stihl shops in my area, which sell Stihl, authorized to repair them, but have very little knowledge on repairing other equipment, because they must repair to sell. Hopefully they are big enough to do both 2 and 4 cycle engines. If they are not an authorized Briggs repair shop, they may be buying aftermarket Briggs parts which may be junk. The part you should have gotten is 597096. A good, new OEM carb should not be doing what you say. I’m at a loss as how to advise you, as I have to many questions about what is going on.

RYANS'

RYANS'

Now I’m a little concerned when you say Stihl shop. I’ve got to “Stihl shops in my area, which sell Stihl, authorized to repair them, but have very little knowledge on repairing other equipment, because they must repair to sell. Hopefully they are big enough to do both 2 and 4 cycle engines. If they are not an authorized Briggs repair shop, they may be buying aftermarket Briggs parts which may be junk. The part you should have gotten is 597096. A good, new OEM carb should not be doing what you say. I’m at a loss as how to advise you, as I have to many questions about what is going on.
I got the carb 597096 from the dealership because I also have the PDF parts list. I know, it's a head scratcher.

RYANS'

RYANS'

I got the carb 597096 from the dealership because I also have the PDF parts list. I know, it's a head scratcher.
And oem

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

597096... that's an Auto choke carburetor.
Be sure your choke plate is opening all the way when the engine is running, and not just loose and flapping for whatever reason.

RYANS'

RYANS'

Be sure your choke plate is opening all the way when the engine is running, and not just loose and flapping for whatever reason.
Yip, played with it. Thermostat choke, open when hot.

RYANS'

RYANS'

My mower wants to die when at idle. The thing is when I tip it back the idle smooths out to normal. Have replaced carburetor still da same problem. It will idle smooth then all of a sudden die down like there is no air. And then idle back up again. Is my fuel tank blocked? This is really weird.
Really appreciate your time and words.

RYANS'

RYANS'

The plastic bracket holding the air filter is broken where it attaches to the engine. I have ordered a new one , to eliminate a potential air leak.

RYANS'

RYANS'

Photo Yip. Fixed problem. Bracket cracked, and air filter housing broken .

RYANS'

RYANS'

Fri_23_08_2024_18_30_30.png

Attachments

RYANS'

RYANS'

Thanks

RYANS'

RYANS'

Fixed, see photo