Briggs 500 oil leak

troop231

Threads
Trying to find out what causes this much oil to leak, but I after tipping my mower MUFFLER side down (correct) oil and gas began dripping out. I've never over filled the oil, and I found the air filter to be soaked in oil, along with some oil in the carburetor and what looks to be some in the gas tank (see pics). After noticing all the oil and fuel on the ground, my dipstick shows the oil level on the ADD mark; it lost several ounces of oil during when I tipped the mower to clean the deck!

Can anyone tell me what may be wrong with my engine?

Thanks in advance!

Pics:

CdJU5bX.jpg
tOF0yrH.jpg

troop231

Threads
I just pulled the spark plug out and removed the muffler, as that's where the oil is coming out. I pulled the engine over by hand and here is a pic of the oil in the muffler exit area: What is the solution and/or problem of this? Thank you again!

AfnotCL.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I believe if you look the breather is located next to the muffler on that engine. When you tipped it muffler down, it filled the breather with oil, and when you tipped it back upright, the oil in the breather tube which connect to the top of the carb, with that rubber elbow. The oil ran into the carb, and down the emulsion tube into the fuel tank the oil also ran into the intake valve, and into the cylinder which was expelled out the muffler when you cranked the engine.

If what I wrote sounds true, then just refill the oil, and restart, and let if fog mosquito for a couple minutes, and it should stop smoking, and you should be good to go. the only safe tip direction is spark plug up, which is about impossible I know.

troop231

Threads
I believe if you look the breather is located next to the muffler on that engine. When you tipped it muffler down, it filled the breather with oil, and when you tipped it back upright, the oil in the breather tube which connect to the top of the carb, with that rubber elbow. The oil ran into the carb, and down the emulsion tube into the fuel tank the oil also ran into the intake valve, and into the cylinder which was expelled out the muffler when you cranked the engine.

If what I wrote sounds true, then just refill the oil, and restart, and let if fog mosquito for a couple minutes, and it should stop smoking, and you should be good to go. the only safe tip direction is spark plug up, which is about impossible I know.

Thank you for the helpful information! One question, do I need to drain the gas tank out or will it run fine? Thanks again!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If there isn't a ton of oil in the gas, you should be fine just running it, and then refill after you burn out the tank of gas. May cause some smoking, but shouldn't hurt anything. sometimes if the carb fuel tube has a lot of oil in it will can be hard for gas to get into the carb to be burned, but I don't suspect you will have any problems.