Briggs 303777 Throttle/carb link problem (pic and video included)

Jixy

Threads
  • / Briggs 303777 Throttle/carb link problem (pic and video included)
I had originally posted this under Snapper forums, but decided this may be a better place to ask since it is more of an engine issue.

(Engine: Briggs & Stratton 30377 1145-E1)

After mowing today, I pushed the throttle lever all the way up (do not ask why :) at which time the engine revved to the max and stayed there, adjusting the throttle handle would not work, so I switched the key off. Upon inspecting the carburetor area, I noticed that the cable from the throttle handle was attached correctly and functioning (not broken)... BUT, there is something amiss between the lower portion of the mechanism (governor level) and the carburetor area. So as of right now, the throttle portion of the carb is open and there is nothing pushing the governor lever down to make it close.

I apologize for the photo spam, but I am hoping someone can spot a potential problem in one of them. A video link is included below.

IMG_0885.JPG
IMG_0886.JPG
IMG_0887.JPG
IMG_0891.JPG
IMG_0888.JPG
IMG_0889.JPG
IMG_0893.jpg

I have the throttle cable loose now, that is why the wheel/cable area look a bit "off".

So, the throttle cable is actually engaging and rotating the area marked as "A", but that is not transferring up to the carb via the pin with the spring. The pin is correctly attached to both the carb and the lower mechanism.

Here is a video that may clarify the issue a bit:
[video]http://www.projectrenewal.net/temp/123.mp4[/video]
Any suggestions? Thanks folks.

Carl Callaway

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Open the choke and look at your throttle plate, make sure the screws are still there.

Jixy

Threads
Open the choke and look at your throttle plate, make sure the screws are still there.

Thanks for the response. I did open the chock to look inside, and the throttle plate looks fine (opening and closing as it should). The problem is down where the throttle cable attaches to the mechanism that is supposed to move the pin linked to the throttle portion on the carb. In the video, you can see that manually pushing the governor lever does open and close the throttle, but the mechanism where the throttle cable attaches to is NOT transferring to the governor lever.

So basically, the throttle plate on the carb is open, and I cannot figure out what is supposed to be closing it :)

I hope my description makes some sense.

CC

Jixy

Threads
I may have a solution. There is an arm that sticks out from the rotating mechanism (attached to throttle cable) that contacts the governor lever (which when depressed pulls the throttle shut); I bent the arm open to make more of a contact thereby depressing the lever. This worked and I have some control over the throttle now. Only issue is that the throttle is very "sensitive" and not as smooth when going up or down.

In the photo list, it is second from bottom, that is the arm I bent to contact the slanted part of the lever.

CC