Brand new Honda HRR216VKA - Backward Resitance

Don123160

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello - I recently bought a Honda HRR216VKA self propelled push mower. This is my first Honda. I noticed a little bit of resistance when pulling it backwards. The belt is not tensioned. It seems like it's geared this way but I wasn't sure. You can hear a gearing type sound when pulling it backwards. Most other mowers I've used are free rolling forwards and backwards but this one is just slightly harder/resistance to pull back. Is this normal? Is this a Honda thing?

Thanks,
Don

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello - I recently bought a Honda HRR216VKA self propelled push mower. This is my first Honda. I noticed a little bit of resistance when pulling it backwards. The belt is not tensioned. It seems like it's geared this way but I wasn't sure. You can hear a gearing type sound when pulling it backwards. Most other mowers I've used are free rolling forwards and backwards but this one is just slightly harder/resistance to pull back. Is this normal? Is this a Honda thing?

Thanks,
Don

There is a little bit more resistance of roll-back force when the wheels are lowered vs. when they are all the way up. When all four wheels are raised to the highest setting, the pull-back force should measure 13 lbs. or less. (You really need a scale to be sure.) If the force is more than 13 lbs., the SmartDrive cable may need adjustment. You can also double-check to make sure the control arm spring on the transmission is okay (not broken or missing), and double check the belt guide clearance on both the crankshaft and transmission pulley are set correct, about 3-4mm and 2-3mm respective. If all those are fine, removal of the rear wheels and some application of general purpose grease to the adjuster arms is recommended. All of these steps are outlined in the shop manual for the HRR216VKA.

Now of course all this is just FYI, as you have a mower that is still under warranty, so I'd suggest you just take it to a servicing Honda dealer so THEY can do all the above. Just be sure to confirm with them not to do any billable work before they get started. Understand some dealers charge a "diagnostic fee" up front, but if the problem is shown to be a factory defect and covered under warranty, the fee will be eliminated.

Here's where to find a Honda dealer in your area; be sure to click on SERVICE and LAWN MOWERS and then your ZIP code:

Find A Honda Dealer

Don123160

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a little bit more resistance of roll-back force when the wheels are lowered vs. when they are all the way up. When all four wheels are raised to the highest setting, the pull-back force should measure 13 lbs. or less. (You really need a scale to be sure.) If the force is more than 13 lbs., the SmartDrive cable may need adjustment. You can also double-check to make sure the control arm spring on the transmission is okay (not broken or missing), and double check the belt guide clearance on both the crankshaft and transmission pulley are set correct, about 3-4mm and 2-3mm respective. If all those are fine, removal of the rear wheels and some application of general purpose grease to the adjuster arms is recommended. All of these steps are outlined in the shop manual for the HRR216VKA.

Now of course all this is just FYI, as you have a mower that is still under warranty, so I'd suggest you just take it to a servicing Honda dealer so THEY can do all the above. Just be sure to confirm with them not to do any billable work before they get started. Understand some dealers charge a "diagnostic fee" up front, but if the problem is shown to be a factory defect and covered under warranty, the fee will be eliminated.

Here's where to find a Honda dealer in your area; be sure to click on SERVICE and LAWN MOWERS and then your ZIP code:

Find A Honda Dealer

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the quick reply. It's only a few days old and has been that way since day one. Thanks for the detailed instructions on how to check. It's not hard to pull back but there is a slight resistance present more than my previous lawnboy or toros. My lawnboy would drift back easily on my driveway with slight grade where this Honda does not. It seems like it supposed to be that way but I wasn't sure. When lifting the mower off the ground the Resistance is present when turning the rear wheels by hand. It's not a lot but more than was present when turning forward. If your saying there suppose to be 13lbs pull back force then that may be what I'm feeling. Is pull back force something unique to Honda's? Don't think I've ever noticed it before on other mowers which made me question if something was wrong with this unit.

Thanks again for your help.

Don

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is pull back force something unique to Honda's? Don't think I've ever noticed it before on other mowers which made me question if something was wrong with this unit.

Pullback effort will vary on the design. For example, older Honda mowers had a clutch inside the transmission, so when you pulled back on the rear wheels, it took about 11 lbs. of effort; you were spinning the rear axle and one internal gear & clutch assembly.

Current transmissions do not use a clutch, but instead the belt is loosened/tightened to change speed. The rear wheels are thus turning all the entire internal parts of the transmission, as well as the input pulley on top of the transmission, which is slightly dragging against the belt. Sounds like a lot more, but it is only +2 lbs (13 max) over the clutch-type design.

Don123160

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pullback effort will vary on the design. For example, older Honda mowers had a clutch inside the transmission, so when you pulled back on the rear wheels, it took about 11 lbs. of effort; you were spinning the rear axle and one internal gear & clutch assembly.

Current transmissions do not use a clutch, but instead the belt is loosened/tightened to change speed. The rear wheels are thus turning all the entire internal parts of the transmission, as well as the input pulley on top of the transmission, which is slightly dragging against the belt. Sounds like a lot more, but it is only +2 lbs (13 max) over the clutch-type design.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for all of the info! It's appreciated. I'm going to look over the lawnmower based on your infromation. I'm thinking everything is correct and it will just take a little time to get use to it. Other than the resistance when pulling it backwards it does a great job cutting the grass - best of any mower I've ever had - best mulching by far.

Thanks again for your help.

Don