Brand new Craftsman T260 riding, cranks but wont start

Pebbles2020

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Brand new Craftsman T260 riding, cranks but wont start
quick shot of starter fluid in the carb and it works great, every time.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like you might have a choke issue. Does it have a seperate choke or incorporated into the throttle control? If incorporated into the throttle push the throttle control to the choke position and see if it is activating the choke. If it is not activating the choke it could be as simple as an adjustment.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
quick shot of starter fluid in the carb and it works great, every time.
Dirty carb. Flush the fuel tank and line while you are at it.

Agree with hlw49, verify choke is operational.

This went from a battery, solenoid and stater issue to a filthy carb.

Pebbles2020

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like you might have a choke issue. Does it have a seperate choke or incorporated into the throttle control? If incorporated into the throttle push the throttle control to the choke position and see if it is activating the choke. If it is not activating the choke it could be as simple as an adjustment.
this was exactly the issue. watched two youtube vids on the matter, removed my hood, used simple torx tool to loosen the fastener, pulled the line connecting the choke to the manual lever on the "dash", and boom, could easily see the choke actually engaging once tightened. thing starts immediately now, and i have noticed much more giddy-up when in use. choke was in full open position as delivered and the first 18 hours of use, sadly...

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
choke was in full open position as delivered and the first 18 hours of use, sadly...
Choke plate is supposed to be fully open once the engine is warm. Something like 1-3 minutes.

Cusser

Threads
Hi Folks,

Got myself a bit of an enraging issue with my brand new craftsman riding mower
I knew absolutely NOTHING when I bought a Craftsman LT1000 in 2005, but had 1.5 acres of tumbleweeds at least knee high. Yes, Sears was unable to deliver this from the store on the designated day, could not arrange to do this no way, no how - I suggested paying overtime to drivers, renting a truck since deliveries were their bottleneck, but no. So we rented a flatbed trailer and Mrs. Cusser traveled 25 miles to pick it up.

Anyway, I read the manual and learned to operate it; I found that a deck brace had never been installed on one side. I called Sears and they shipped out the brace and bolts - but to the wrong address.

By the way - 2 Craftsman tile saws I bought were both defective/bad design and got returned same day, bought one at Home Depot. I wonder why Sears has had financial difficulties....