Brakes on a YTH24v48

deckboat234

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am thinking about buying a used mower from a friend but the brakes don't seem to be working. Trying to figure out how to adjust them or if a part is missing. It is about a 2010 to 2013 YTH24V48 model. She got it second hand so she does not know the exact age. Any idea's what to check?
I have it up on jack stands and can get one wheel to go forward while the other goes back but going down a hill it does not stop.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Serial number.

Appears to have a Tuff Torq hydrostatic transaxle. The brakes are not adjustable if not working it requires the brake pad inside the transaxle to be replaced.

deckboat234

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok, thanks. I just looked up those parts and I don't think it is worth it to try and repair it. By the time I do this repair and new blades, oil change and filters I would have $400 in a 8 to 10 yr old mower. Probably just keep my craftsman for another year.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You need to think what it would cost to have someone else to cut your lawn too. Most of these Husqvarnas are very good mowers when maintain.

I got one customer that is on his third engine now. Considering that he mowing a huge place and is rather rough on it, it does require repairs at least once a year. Most deck repairs. I have been servicing it since 2009 when I put on the 3rd engine.

deckboat234

Forum Newbie
Threads
What does the green spring connect too? Does it have anything to do with the brakes? It appears that this mower is missing the rod pedal control or rod brake. thanks

Attachments

• mower pic two two.jpg
    mower pic two two.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 7

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes it does. It is the brake spring the attached to the brake rod and the brake lever on the transaxle. With it not connected and the brake if missing, it would definitely be the cause of the lack of braking. Item 29 is the brake rod.
diagram.gif