Brake Adjustment or Replacement

JayPee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Murray 30" rear engine Model 13AC26DJ058 How do you adjust or replace brakes ??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First check to see if the pulleys stop turning when you push the brake pedal. Drive belt should become slack. Second, check to see the the brake rod is moving the brake lever fully. Here is a parts manual to help you locate the parts I’m talking about. https://apps.mtdproducts.com/manuals/769-10343.pdf

JayPee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Located the small brake rotor and the lever at the end of the brake rod. The lever, number 23 in the picture, doesnt move forward enough to lock the rotor. With the brake pedal on "lock" or pushed full forward the rotor isnt locked. Lying on the ground at the rear of the mower, I can manually push the lever forward and the rotor locks and stops the mower. Cant find any adjustment for the rod or lever. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• brake.gif
    brake.gif
    63.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

JayPee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its fixed. Looking at the brake lever from the rear of the mower, I found that pushing the lever to the right, rather than forward, also locks the brake rotor. The lever is mounted on a threaded shaft and secured with a nut. I tightened the nut which moved the lever towards the right which locks the rotor. After a little experimentation, I found the right amount to tighten the nut and it now works perfectly. Locks up good and with the brake pedal and no drag when the brake is released.
P.S. FWIW I later looked up riding mower brakes on you tube and learned how they work and how to adjust them.

Last edited: