Bolens/MTD will not come out of gear unless engine stopped.

1fixitman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Bolens/MTD will not come out of gear unless engine stopped.
2004 Bolens 38 inch cut. 15.5 HP engine MTD transmission. I replaced the upper and lower drive belt on my Bolens/MTD. It starts fine. I can put it in gear but no matter how hard I push on the brake/clutch it will not come out of gear. I can put it in forward and it runs fine. I have to stop the engine to put in reverse or neutral. If I put it in reverse it will run fine but I can not pull it out of reverse without shutting off engine. I have adjusted the disc brake so it is barely engaged without pressing brake/clutch. I have also recently cleaned the transmission and replaced the grease with the MTD brand grease. Approximately 19 to 20 ounces. I can fix most issues but this has me stumped. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. I wonder if I just need to wear in the new belts?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clutch is dragging. Is it out of adjustment?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing that comes to mind is if just started happening since you replaced the belts, you may have the wrong size belts. Second thing is the belt routed correctly. When you lock the parking brake down the belt should be loose. If you post back, please include the model and serial numbers for the tractor, as I really hate guessing what you are talking about.

1fixitman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model 13AM662F765 Serial 1C094B80070 I may be wrong on the year but it is old.

1fixitman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Clutch is dragging. Is it out of adjustment?
How do I adjust the clutch on this machine? Brake/clutch on left pedal. Forward Neutral Reverse selector on plate between seat and steering wheel. There is also a 6 speed selector for the CVT style speed selector along with a notch for parking brake just to the right of the FNR selector. The belts were both verified against the old belts and are routed properly.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wish I could help you with the adjustment but I'm not familiar with your mower. I should have said "Your clutch might be dragging" instead of "Clutch is dragging." That made it sound like I know exactly what's wrong but I don't. Your mower has the symptoms of a dragging clutch.

If you start the machine in neutral, how hard is it to put it in F or R? Do you hear any noise, such as grinding gears, when you do that?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually it is a dragging (not slipping) Engine to Variable speed belt.

First make sure you use MTD belts and not aftermarket ones. MTD mowers are very picky about drive belts. Standard 5/8 belts will not work properly. Second make sure you didn't bend the drive pulley upon re-installation. I have done this once by forget to put in the spacer and tightening up. Then I remember I forgot so installed the spacer without checking the pulley. I nearly crashed the customer's mower. I had bent the pulley just enough that belt couldn't slip properly.

There is only one adjustment that can be done and it is very limited. This done by moving 33 on the 62 rod.
mtd 662 clutch.JPG