Blades not keeping up RPM.

donelwell

Threads
Hi: I am new to the forum and so glad I found it. I have a ZT1540 with Kohler motor. Not a complaint in the world. Bought new in 2004. Have replaced several belts over the years, and last year had to replace two spindles and 2 pulleys. Put new belt on and a new spring on the tensioner(whatever it is called) hooked up belt, and when clutch is engaged, blades sound good. Anykind of grass cutting and the blades slow down and almost to a stop. What did I miss? The pulleys are gravely the spindles are also. Belt is same type as before. Help!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm thinking there is a new spring problem. Either the spring itself or the installation.

Man that hurts my pride when I fix something and it doesn't work as good as before I fixed it.

donelwell

Threads
Thank you Sir. I will order another and try it again. That's about all I know to do.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just for a simple cheap test, go out and pull off one spark plug wire and start the engine. Then plug that one back in and
unplug the other one, and start. Tell us what happens.

donelwell

Threads
Thanks for the suggestion but I am not able to try it as of now. I do have a question: Is there an easy way to pull the "arm" back so to be able to get belt around clutch? There has to be a way. What I do now is put a chain (small) with a hook on it and a long 3/8th carriage bolt and run it back to the rear of the frame and then put a nut on it and tighten it up. It pulls the "arm" back but just wondering if there is an easier way.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
To be polite... How in the world would we know?

The gang here mows a few yards/teaches a class or two/is old and crusty as hell.

Any particular tidbit about the vast brands here, would be pure blind luck to find someone here that has worked on your actual unit.....

donelwell

Threads
Mr. Fish: Being this is my first time on this forum, and I have learned a lot, I by no means meant to tick you off. Please forgive me. I was only trying to see if anyone else has had expierence with the belt installing procedure I was doing. I apologize.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, I am not mad, but am a bit of a jerk. I just was meaning that, it is doubtful that any of us here have ever really looked your
mower, I am just guessing it is an Ariens or Gravely. Normally on belt installations, I just eyeball the layout, and pick a pulley
that is on a long stretch and make that the last pulley to put the belt over, after looping it around all of the others, and normally there is enough belt to just reach that last pulley and get a little up on the lip itself, then I just rotate the belt, pulley or blade in the direction to pop it on.

But without being there, it is hard to say if that will help you much. Most systems have a spring loaded idler, sometimes it
is possible to remove the spring, then re-install the spring once the belt is on. One of the best spring installation tools I have, is just that, a big deck spring, with one side a long steel end that comes to a hook. The big coil part of it makes an excellent hand grip.

donelwell

Threads
Thank you Mr. Fish. I will try to put more info on any thread I put on here. Your advise on the spring is a lot better than I have been doing. I will look into it. I am having a right knee revision in August and need to get everything fixed before than. Again thank you Mr. Fish