Blade won’t engage Lawn boy 10533

Poadinc

Forum Newbie
Threads
After a while of running I release the safety lever and all works normal. When I go to start mowing again the blade will not spin up or may take a minute or two. Is there a brake that is not being released? What part should I replace?

Born2Mow

Threads
Yes, there is a brake... but on most walk-behind mowers the blade is directly coupled to the crankshaft, so the brake stops the blade by stopping the entire engine. (I believe your mower fits into this category.)

I suggest you disconnect the spark plug wire (for your safety) and then look under the mower and make sure the blade is still tightly coupled to the bottom of the engine. 1) The center bolt could be loose, or 2) you may have sheared a key between the crankshaft and blade mounting hub. Some minor disassembly may be required.

Last edited:

bogdaN

Threads
If your mower have blade brake clutch assembly then need to check that.

dougmacm

Threads
10533 was made in 1995-1996

21" Medallion Series Cast Deck 3 Speed, similar to an M Series but not Commercial and with a B&S 4-Cycle Engine ... and BBC.

Appears that these (along with M Series 10591) were the last BBC equipped Lawn-Boys.

So YES ... this IS a Blade Brake Clutch equipped mower !!

Doug

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are three reasons that the blade will not engage. 1. Broken belt. 2. Belt tensioner cable not adjusted properly. 3. Broken cable or cable controller under the handle. This manual is much easier to follow than my instructions would be. If you have more questions post back. https://www.toro.com/getpub/22446