Blade thickness

RayMcD

Threads
Gentlemen, what is you thoughts on blade thickness. I've a CRZ 48", the stock blade are .250 thick. I see many replacement blades that are ~.200. Some say heavier are harder on the PTO and belts. What about cut quality? Run time between changes? Please share your thought based on real world experience. thanks, Ray

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Gentlemen, what is you thoughts on blade thickness. I've a CRZ 48", the stock blade are .250 thick. I see many replacement blades that are ~.200. Some say heavier are harder on the PTO and belts. What about cut quality? Run time between changes? Please share your thought based on real world experience. thanks, Ray
.204 is thinner than .250. If your OEM blade is .204 thick, that’s what you need. The .250 will work they are just heavier and normally for commercial mowers.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As you say your blades are .250” thick I would stick with them. Thinner blades will wear faster, which will mean change more often. I’ve not seen any difference in quality of cut, between thicker and thinner blades, as long as they are maintained properly, which is more important than thickness. Engine speed and belt and pulley condition are also very important. I personally go with thicker blades, which I think cut better and have to be sharpen less, but that is just what I like.