Blade cutting edge.

Back-at-it

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, First post here. I have a New Ryobi Battery rider mower. I purchased a set of bagger blades in hope to see a better lift of the grass.

As you can see in the picture, the cutting edge looks small.

So question: Can I or should I extend the cutting edge of the blade? Would this help or hurt the blade?

Attachments

• IMG_4198.jpg
    IMG_4198.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 28

Ken22

Threads
IMHO it won't make any difference. Most cutting is done by about the first 1". I'm sure Ryobi, a respectable company, has tested blades to see which blades work best.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you know how fast the mower travels and how fast the blades spin, you can figure out the 'advance ratio' aka how far the mower advances for each half revolution of the blade. I'm betting it will be less than the sharpened portion of your blades.

For instance, a blade spinning 3600 rpm on a mower traveling 4 mph has advanced about 9/16" between one end of the blade cutting grass and the other end of the blade arriving to do the same thing.

Back-at-it

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good information .. Thank you.

I was always under the illusion the more cutting area the better.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
But then I'd think with all that grass floating around under there the extra cutting edge might chop it up a bit finer instead of just battering it around?

4getgto

Threads
Not sure what the manufacturers thinking is but I'm sure they make what's best for their particular mower ...They wouldn't put a so-so blade on if they know there's something even better to make their mower work better...

On a side note I went from Gator g3 blades which has about a 3" cutting edge to a g6 which has probably a 6" + cutting edge and honestly don't see a difference..

Back-at-it

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure what the manufacturers thinking is but I'm sure they make what's best for their particular mower ...They wouldn't put a so-so blade on if they know there's something even better to make their mower work better...

On a side note I went from Gator g3 blades which has about a 3" cutting edge to a g6 which has probably a 6" + cutting edge and honestly don't see a difference..
I contacted Oregon Products who make the Gator Blades and asked if they were going to make a blade for the Ryobi RM480E mower. They said they were waiting on Ryobi for some information. I had heard they were the best blade out there and would love to try them. So this is great information from someone that has tried the. Thank you.