black smoke and rough or no running ,carb flooding

oldntired55

Threads
  • / black smoke and rough or no running ,carb flooding
I have an older Broadmoor...#1693840 with CV46016 hp Kohler . with a chi8nese replacement carb , the carb started flooding and belching black smoke when i was mowing the other day, finally quit 20 feet short of my garage. ordered a replacement chinese carb from Amazon... just installed it, will hardly run...again, with the black smoke and rough running. i find it hard to believe 2 carbs could have same problem. if it were an older Briggs carb with an adjustable float, i would suspect float was out of its range and letting raw fuel pour thru vent.my question is, anyone have a fuel pressure spec on this mechanical pump? maybe its forcing fuel past the needle? also. i do not have the 'original' carb... so im running blind here...

oldntired55

Threads
I have an older Broadmoor...#1693840 with CV46016 hp Kohler . with a chi8nese replacement carb , the carb started flooding and belching black smoke when i was mowing the other day, finally quit 20 feet short of my garage. ordered a replacement chinese carb from Amazon... just installed it, will hardly run...again, with the black smoke and rough running. i find it hard to believe 2 carbs could have same problem. if it were an older Briggs carb with an adjustable float, i would suspect float was out of its range and letting raw fuel pour thru vent.my question is, anyone have a fuel pressure spec on this mechanical pump? maybe its forcing fuel past the needle? also. ...i do know the fuel solenoid works, if i unplug it, it will immediately shut off. i do not have the original carb, so im running blind here...
i will more than likely change the oil AGAIN after i figure out the problem...

oldntired55

Threads
i will more than likely change the oil AGAIN after i figure out the problem... why would they make a carb that has no provision for adjusting float height?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Usually under 10 psi.

Now you must use a fuel pump fed carburetor and not a gravity fed one. Also note the needle seat and needle are replaceable on the Command CV single cylinder engines.

Pump Fed needle seat kit is PN 12 521 04-S.

Post the engine spec number and I can look up what the correct carburetor PN is.

oldntired55

Threads
Usually under 10 psi.

Now you must use a fuel pump fed carburetor and not a gravity fed one. Also note the needle seat and needle are replaceable on the Command CV single cylinder engines.

Pump Fed needle seat kit is PN 12 521 04-S.

Post the engine spec number and I can look up what the correct carburetor PN is.
i will get that in the morning thanks

oldntired55

Threads
so, if i have a gravity fed carb, i can remove the needle and seat, and install the pressure needle and seat in its place?

oldntired55

Threads
i have a question... why, in the 04-s kit, does it have TWO needles??? it looks like one is longer, which tells me it would shut fuel off at a lower level.??? am i right?

Attachments

• carb kit.jpg
    carb kit.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The carburetor kit included in inlet kit is a dual purpose kit. Just use the correct needle. You also find a few other parts that are not used.

Here are the instructions that comes with the inlet kit.
1722855845812.png
1722855949129.png