Export thread

Billy Goat Leaf Blower, Subaru Engine Problem

F

Francis Kingz

Hi,

New user. Thanks in advance for any help.

Have a Billy Goat leaf blower with a Subaru 169cc engine, model 170dt1042. About 5 years old.

Always dependable. Easy to start.

Checked the oil and then used it today for 4 hours straight. It stalled out. I assumed it was empty so I filled it and left it awhile for both of us to cool off.

There was no smoke, no unusual noises before it stalled. Just ran down and quit as though it was out of gas.

Came back an hour later and it was leaking gas from the carburetor area and the pull cord was jammed, could not pull it.

Checked oil. Gas and oil poured out of the hole for the dipstick. Literally poured out. Pulled cord to see if engine would turn and now it does, but I did not try to start it.

A first for me. Any ideas about what the problem is and what I should do next very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Francis

(By the way, not experienced at repairing small engines or any engines for that matter)

StarTech

StarTech

Currently the problem sound a stuck or trash in fuel valve in the carburetor that is causing the fuel overflow problem with the carburetor. Got to resolve this problem first along with an oil change. Then you can see if this was the only problem or something else is also wrong.

Fuel diluted oil can lead to the piston rod seizing and breaking so before spending a lot check that the piston is moving up and down.

F

Francis Kingz

Thank you very much.

Not sure how to check if piston is broke but engine does turn normally when I pull the cord now. No unusual noises. I kept the switch off so it didn't start until I drain the oil/gas and put new oil in it.

Could all of that gas filling the oil reservoir have prevented me from pulling the cord originally due to compression or something? Once I unscrewed the dipstick and the excess oil and gas poured out I was able to pull the cord again.

Thank you again.

Francis